Chapter 19

XVII

..

[ανεκτός]

Bearable

..

A WEEK LATER

MORNING

    'So a week after the last scene' thought Penelope 'I wonder if the story there follows the og plot or not.'

ONCE AGAIN — peace found its way back to the royal palace; the princess had recovered rather quickly, with the help of the young warlock who had ended being chosen as her playmate, upon Felix's insistence (a decision neither Claude or Penelope liked much, but Athanasia was fine with it, so they didn't interject.) and now that she had a friend her own age, Athanasia kept busy with her lessons and playing around with the warlock, albeit the two of them bickered a lot too — Athanasia looked happy.

     Penelope knew if the child was happy she wouldn't interfere even if she didn't like the decision but still would be cautious around that being.

Of course, the three of them still had their meals together. And Athanasia was particularly chatty, then — talking about the fun story Lucas had told her that day, or about the new book she'd finished, or about her progress in academics. Penelope too — now being the one who les the small council meetings mostly — shared the news of state affairs with her and subtly taught Athanasia about politics herself. They still spent time together, but not as much before — which was alright, according to Penelope.

     The Duke was happy at how much of a better parental figure she was then him and could be more happy and proud for her. Reynold still denied that he was happy for her but was surprised she was good with kids. He thought most kids would fear her for her cold appearance. Derrick wonders where Penelope learned to be good in politics, when she always goes and makes trouble for them and affects the reputation.

But Claude, however, felt bummed. He did not voice it, of course, but he did. His own daughter (and perhaps the only person he chatted with no regarding work) was now too busy to see him as much as she did in the past; Felix said it was a part of growing up, that she needed to make her own friends that weren't family.

    Reynold and Penelope snarked at the Emperor's reaction to the situation, finding it amusing. The Duke wanted to chuckle because he knew how that felt watching your kids grow up and soon leave as they grow older.

"It would shape her personality, your highness." he said, not at all helping Claude's irritation. This whole 'growing up' part was ticking him off, for some reason he couldn't explain. And frankly, he didn't bother to either.

    They all watched the Emperor's reaction to his daughter starting to grow up.

As a result, his visits to the Crystal palace grew more over the days. And almost every day, he could be found lounging around with his share of work in the Empress' office, the two of them sorting through their duties in silence. He could have her called to the Emperor's palace; the Empress would often say to him. And it did make sense, after all, the Emperor roaming around the palace with his work was quite unbecoming of his position. But the truth was he preferred the Crystal palace; the ambiance, or the Empress' quiet presence in general was rather relaxing.

    Penelope and Reynold stared at the screen as if grew too head. The fact that someone liked being around her surprised both of them. The Duke and Emily were happy about someone liking being around her. Derrick looked at the screen in irritation.

Whether it was the faint scratching of pen against paper, or the wispy sound of sighs that so often would leave past her brims, or the ever lingering mild smell of silk and lilac; Claude found the work hours passing easier sitting in the brightly lit, surrounded by books old and new, office of the Crystal palace.

     'Weirdo' Penelope and Reynold thought as one showed they were freaked out and the other hid their face behind a fan.

Their conversations too, had slowly progressed from strict work to their day-to-day lives. Penelope being the one who did most of the talking, telling him the stories of the court — messages nobles had for him — and what not. Once in a blue moon, Claude too brought stories on the table, about his early years as the Emperor. Talking to her was easier now, and much less like a chore than it had been before.

    'A chore...huh' Penelope mentally remarked, as she hit a laughing Reynold in the head with the fan. Reynold then stop laughing and glared at her but she didn't care.

One such afternoon, when Athanasia was busy in her classes, Penelope received an invitation from the Emperor; fixing her hair, she headed towards the palace where he'd ask for her. Reaching the rose gardens, she met the sight of the man lounging by the lake — dressed in the same foreign robes, with the same dreamy look painted over his face.

    Reynold snorted at the comment on his face and thought she was going crazy again. [He doesn't want to admit that he is jealous that she doesn't compliment his look]

"Blessings and glory upon the sun of the Empire," she greeted, and he stood from his place.

"Good afternoon." he greeted back — something he had only just started doing (the reaction he'd earned by Felix still made her laugh) — and strode over. Reading into his wordless instruction, she followed his steps as they led her to the lake.

    'He isn't going to drown me, right?' thought Penelope to herself. Emily wonders if they are going on a date or spending time as husband and wife. And not talk about work all the time.

Oh...perhaps her surprise lasted a bit too long, for when she looked down at the hand extended towards her, she found that the Emperor was watching her with a frown — as if she'd done something peculiar.

"Don't just stand there." he deadpanned, and in reply she simply took his hand as he helped her on the boat, before climbing in himself.

     'Wasn't this scene supposed to be done with Athanasia' Penelope thought as she recognized the boat and lake scenery. Emily was in awe at the beautiful scenery.

And once more, silence fell between them. However it never really seemed to bother them, this time Penelope couldn't help but think he was thinking of something, because each time she felt a pair of eyes on her — she turned to find him turning back away. How weird, she inwardly commented, but didn't say anything.

    They all just stare at the Emperor as if he was seriously acting that way or if it is just this universe.

Ahem — once she was back to observing the clear, flowing water — she heard a call for her attention. turning , eyebrows raised in question, she looked at the Emperor who was yet again staring at her face blankly.

    'What do you want' Penelope thought irritated

"Your highness?" she asked, and instead of an answer, he extended his fist towards her. She tilted her head — and he opened his fist to reveal a folded origami lily in his hand. A smile bloomed over the Empress' features, marine eyes rising to his.

    Penelope was in awe of how much of a tsundere he was like her brother. Emily found it adorable on how romantic the scene looks.

"It isn't that hard," he said, scratching the back of his neck with his free hand as she took the flower from him. "You've done very well, your highness." she said, fixing the paper-made flower over her brooch and looking at him for approval.

    They all watched their interaction with each other and it felt like a scene from a fairytale or something, so unreal.

"Does it suit me?" the child-like joy over the usually inscrutable face made him smile,

" It looks bearable."

    Everyone was star struck on how beautiful Penelope looked with such a smile and they crave that image in their mind.