Chapter 10

VIII

[The Next Morning]

Emperor's Palace

" GLORY TO THE SUN OF EMPIRE —" polite as ever, mildly spoken greeting broke the silence, tugging at Claude's consciousness to come back.

Bloodshot azure eyes rise, meeting the eyes of the woman who stood by the door, tea cart in front of her as per custom. A nod of acknowledgement and he invites her in, wordlessly. He had long stopped asking her why she brought tea with her, having given the same answer every time — not that he complained. Tea might be just the thing he needed now.

    'Damn, I didn't they' Penelope thought as her brothers looked at her like she was crazy or stupid. Her father was just watching hoping his daughter won't get killed.

"My apologies for the disturbance, but I wanted you to sign this agreement we came to decide on enrolling the commoner children with magic." She carried the cart in, setting the tray on the table.

    'Of course, it's about work,' Emily sighed at her lady's conversation with her husband.

Impassive, he walked towards the sofa and took a seat, glaring at her with the same empty eyes all the while she poured tea for both.

    'Great, what did I do now?' Penelope rolled her eyes, as she was done with people's shitty attitude.

"I have talked with the nobles about educating the commoners and funding those in need at the university. At first some of them were reluctant, but Duke Alpheus took a liking to my proposition and convinced the other nobles all too easily." she informed him, pushing a cup of tea towards his direction.

    'She acts more like an assistant than his wife' the Duke thought, worried about Penelope's happiness.

That is when she raises her gaze to find his transfixed on her person — in not a very pleased manner, at that.

    "Oh really" Reynold sarcastically said, while Penelope just glared at him resisting the urge to slap the back of the head.

Surprised look flashed on the empress' face briefly, and she questioned " Is there anything you wish to speak to me, your grace?"

    "Can't tell if you are brave or crazy" Reynold said "Probably the second one since you are a crazy bitch?"

    "Reynold!" the Duke shouted at the boy and Penelope just ignored what he said not wanting to die.

Slouched from of the man straightened — and she tried not to let her attention divert to the exposed skin through the peculiar, foreign robes he so often wore. He looked irritated like she'd say one wrong word and he would snap.

    "Penelope" Reynold and the duke said as they turned to her just to see her face flush red. And Emily was looking away from the screen.

"I hear there was a celebration in the Ruby Palace last night — the Empress being the one suggesting it."

     "Really, why is he mad ?' Reynold and Emily thought dumbfounded

Oh — so that's what it was.

"Yes, you heard right." she replied, voice still indifferent. This seemed to tick the Emperor further, and he questioned back.

    'Damn, my tone is going to get me killed' Penelope panicked and frustrated

"Do you know why we don't celebrate the birthday of the princess?" Penelope didn't reply right away, but took a moment to ponder over her words. Should she say it was to break the ice between her and the princess? Would he think she was trying to cover his daughter's favor?

Or should she tell him it was because she found the Princess in a similar position as herself when she was a child, and didn't want the little girl to feel the same loneliness?

    Emily was happy and worried about her lady since she remembered that her childhood in the household wasn't the best.

    Reynold felt very guilty about framing her in their childhood. The Duke felt like he was just stabbed in the heart for not giving his daughter a good childhood and failing as a father.

    'Ungrateful' Derrick thought as he rolled his eyes

"I am well aware of your grief, your highness. But my intention was not to mock the passing of the previous consort, but to make sure the Princess mother's memory doesn't feel like loneliness and ignorance to her." Her words earn her a frown from the Emperor, but he doesn't say anything, and instead listens.

    'He's actually going to listen to me/her!?' Penelope and Reynold thought in shock that she didn't get herself killed.

"Memories from the past are painful to some, but sacrificing the Princess' happiness for the sake of grief didn't seem right to me — I apologize if my actions offended you."

    'It's our fault for the painful memories' thought Reynold and the Duke.

    'I'm sorry my lady,' Emily thought in shame of her past actions, as she started to feel tears coming down her cheek. She sees a handkerchief and her lady looking away holding the handkerchief. "Hurry up, my hands are getting tired" Penelope whispered. Emily took the handkerchief and smiled at her lady's kindness.

Claude clenched his jaw, dismissing Penelope with a wave of his hand. Adding a command in the end.

"You can lead the small council meeting on my behalf today, send in the paperwork that needs taking care of. I'm not going to join the meeting, you can leave now."

    Quite ...that the room has gone too.

    Pure quietness

She rose from her seat, bowing.

"Blessings be upon the empire." Her courtesy was followed by a request, "and please make sure to finish the tea, your highness."

    'Why' is what they thought

Claude didn't give her another glance, rubbing his temples with his eyes closed. It was when he heard the faint click of the door being closed, he looked down at the brew in the cup.

A cure for hangovers.

    'Ah' some of them thought

    'My lady is kind, thought she won't admit it' thought Emily

Claude sighed, picking the cup and washing down it's contents all at once, calling in a voice that greatly concerned the knight standing outside the door

"Felix ! get your arse here!"

    'Poor knight' Penelope and Emily thought

    Reynold was trying to hold in his laughter, while the Duke and Derrick were surprised to hear the Emperor say that.