Chapter 15

XIII

"Cause this is where I wanna be

Where it's so sweet and heavenly"

..

UNIVERSITY OF MAGIC

   They all wonder if the trip was going to be alright or not

SURPRISED GLANCES, albeit pleased, followed the couple all the while in their visit. It was probably the first time the Emperor — who was known to be an aloof individual — had decided to pay the academy of magic a visit.

   'So they know his an aloof' thought Penelope

The professors and administrators were all buzzing around the royal couple like bees with their fake smiles and syrupy words, trying to make an impression; Penelope had to admit, his decision to visit along with her had paid off well. She wasn't so sure the university staff would have complied with her wishes to make changes in the training methods of the students so easily as they did with the Emperor standing beside her.

    'At least he's useful' thought Penelope in annoyance.

The most enthusiastic one on her arrival, however, was the students of the academy. They were all flocked around their new Empress; apparently the word that the Empress used to be the archmage of the Inca Empire had gotten to the university premises as well, and thus the children all were excited to meet her. Numerous questions, excited rambling, it all made Penelope feel like a celebrity being interviewed. And she tried her best to not miss anyone's queries despite not being used to being around crowds.

   They were all impressed by how popular Penelope was with the academy kids. Penelope felt overwhelmed just by looking at the scene in front of her.

After all, in their academic curiosity and passion for what they did, she could see a bit herself. It gave her all the energy she needed, and time flew by chattering with the students along with discussions with the staff about the improvements that were to be made in the curriculum.

    Penelope looked at the screen as if she was feeling longing to belong somewhere and envied that her other self got to have it but she doesn't.

Claude too, seemed interested and was more involved in the matters than expected. He toured the university campus, suggesting renovation, and modifications here and there.

At the end of the day, the students had arranged a bonfire for their Emperor and Empress — along with a music performance. Penelope had been hesitant to accept at first, but before she could react, she heard an instant agreement from Claude's side — who avoided her eyes and seemed unfazed by the whole deal.

   'Ugh' thought Penelope

   'He does like spending time with her' thought Emily

Well ... if he wishes, then sure; she mused to herself, joining the students and professors alike in the grounds, where a fire had been lit, soft melody of Obelian ballads flowing in the background pleasantly. Minutes into the song, Penelope found herself enjoying the scenery, glad that Claude had agreed to staying back.

   The Duke was happy that the trip was going fine and that Penelope was enjoying her time there. Reynold refused to admit it but he is happy that his sister is happy but he'll never admit.

Gentle expression written over her otherwise sharp face, the fire's glow simply enhanced the child-like joy that was so rare on the face of the Empress. Claude watched her, as she sat with her knees hugged to her chest, on the mattress' that the students had arranged for them, swaying slightly to the music.