Chapter 20

XVIII

' &&. Some things are best left

Unsaid, my sweet.'

..

[three months later]

..

ECKART MANSION

INCA EMPIRE

   They all weren't expecting to be shown as well and three months laters no less, they began to wonder how long she has been gone since she got married.

AFTER MONTHS — the Eckart mansion seemed livelier than before; ever since Penelope's wedding it was as if the mansion had fallen into a dull routine. Although the princess was not a loud presence, her departure still made the Eckart mansion quieter — just like the time after the Duchess had passed away.

   Penelope rolled her eyes not believing that they would actually miss her, after all she is just a replacement. The Duke and Reynold were surprised at how much closer they grew together as a family, to miss her like that when she got married. Emily was grateful that her lady took her with her, and not left her behind.

Hearing from Obelia livened things up quite a bit — second young master Reynold had jumped over the sofa to dash quickly to the living hall, as soon as heard there was a messenger from Obelia.

   "That's fake!" Reynold shouted "i wouldn't do that" trying to deny that he most likely would react that way and missed his sister. Penelope smirked behind the fan as she watched Reynold defending himself. "Sure, you wouldn't" Penelope replied, teasing him as they began their playful bickering. The Duke watched his kids being childish, smiling and said "alright, enough you two." The two stopped their bickering and looked at the screen.

However it wasn't a letter — but an invitation. A ball was being organized in the palace of Obelia in the honor of the Empress' first birthday in Obelia, since the people hadn't been able to visit the wedding ceremony, it was also held as a welcoming ceremony for the Empress to introduce her to the people of Obelia.

   They were even more curious if it had been a year or something since Penelope left. The timeline is confusing them right now.

Attached to it was a box, by Penelope written on top of it in the very familiar cursive of the princess' handwriting. It was addressed to the Duke, who excitedly opened to find a booch inside, along with a note.

'Forgive me for not writing to you for so long, father. I couldn't find the time amidst my duties to do so. Obelia has taken to me well, as have I. The royal family is very welcoming. I hope you come to the ball personally, I have missed you.

Yours,

Penny.'

   The Duke was happy that his daughter gifted something and wrote to him, as well that he had a closer relationship with her. Reynold was annoyed that he didn't get anything or a letter but their father did. Derrick was not showing any emotion and was very quiet, which was very rare and worrisome.

BEAMING — the Duke passed a smug look at the second young master as he immediately put the brooch on that had been sent by the princess

   The Duke looked away as he avoided his daughter's eyes that said 'are u serious, father' and looked at him in disbelief. While Reynold just huffed in annoyance at his father's action.