Chapter 14

XII

A FEW WEEKS LATER

CRYSTAL PALACE

   'Penelope place' thought the family

SILENCE — filled in the office of the Empress, not uncomfortably, however — and Penelope watched the Emperor sitting across from her spaced out in his own world as he often did.

   'What is he doing there!?!?' thought Penelope, Reynold and Emily

Ever since that day in the garden, it had become a routine of sorts; during tea time, Felix would suggest inviting the Empress, Athanasia would insist and Claude would pretend to not care whilst not really resisting either.

   'I'm included in family stuff' thought Penelope having a tear fall from her eyes. She is happy that she got a family that wants her or accepts her in their family.

Invitations became a habit after a week, and it became an unspoken habit for Penelope to find herself sitting outside in the garden of the ruby palace in morning and early evenings.

   Emily turned around to see her lady and saw her crying a bit. "My lady ?!" she whispered as she handed her a handkerchief. "I'm fine Emily, thank you" Penelope whispered back as she took the handkerchief. Penelope faced back at the screen with her indifferent look again. Emily followed but still is worried for her.

But it didn't end there; the Emperor too, had started visiting that crystal palace more often than not to counsel with the Empress regarding the state matters. At first she'd been surprised, saying that if he needed her advice — he could simply send for her. But Claude had dismissed her question with an uncaring shrug, continuing to visit the Empress's residence regardless.

   'Why is he there then??' thought Penelope

Now there were even instances where he'd just come over, not say a single thing throughout the meeting, and leave just like that. Today seemed to be one of those days — Penelope mused, clearing her throat to gain his attention. Usually she wouldn't dare object, after all he was the Emperor — he could visit wherever he liked if he wanted.

   'This happened often now..' thought the Duke and Penelope

Usually she brought her work to the tea-table, going through it in silence while his presence – ever looming — was just sort of ... there.

But today she had a field trip planned to the university, and him sitting in her office for no reason at all was holding her back. And for no reason, it seemed.

   'Damm' thought Reynold wanting to laugh at Penelope remark about the Emperor

The noise snapped Claude's reverie for what seemed like but a moment, making cerulean eyes dart over where the Empress sat, inquisitive.

"Pardon if I seem rude, but I have to visit the university today, your highness. Perhaps we could arrange this meeting sometime later after I return?" she tried to sound as polite as possible, awaiting his response

   'Right, he is the Emperor...can't just say get out of my palace to him.' Penelope thought with an eye roll.

Claude seemed to ponder for a moment, wordlessly standing up from his seat (which made Penelope sigh in relief,) and summoned Felix.

   Everyone was curious about what the Emperor was going to do.

"Yes, your highness?" the knight asked, glancing at the Empress who stood there confused.