Chapter 21

XIX

..

[το δώρο]

The gift

..

CRYSTAL PALACE

MORNING

   'Back to Obelia' they thought

LIVELY &&. FESTIVE, the Obelian royal palace was full of chatter and hustle — servants from all department had come to wish the Empress a happy birthday; the first one to wish her had been Emily — prepared with her classic dopey grin and Penelope's favorite breakfast — 'happy birthday, miss!' She even addressed her like she used to in the past. It was such a sweet gesture, Penelope couldn't reprimand her for the insolence of addressing her with the wrong title.

    Emily smiled at her close relationship with her lady and Penelope wondered if they would be this close but then shut down the idea for her priority is to get out of this damn game. The Duke and Reynold watched the closed relationship Penelope had with her maid.

Not just that, she'd even put extra effort into dolling Penelope up for the occasion, which was unnecessary but appreciated regardless.

Second had been Athanasia, sir Robane and Lilian York, who had come bearing flowers and gifts later when she'd dressed up. Athanasia gifted her a portrait she'd drawn of Penelope with herself, and albeit it needed quite a lot of improvement — for Penelope looked more like a dragon lily than a person — it still made her smile.

   Penelope was happy with her relationship with Athanasia, Emily found it adorable.

Sir Robane and Lily had prepared a bouquet and a cake for Penelope — looking very much like a couple as they presented their wishes together (and at the same time, in sync.)

   "They're not married!" Reynold shouted, as he thought they were married but finding out that they are not.

Let's say, the start of Penelope's day had been rather cheery, and she found herself enjoying the attention.

However there was one thing still missing; every time a servant would enter her chambers to wish her, she couldn't help but anticipate the Emperor who had yet not made an appearance.

   They all wonder if she has gotten attached to the Emperor or if she has fallen for him.

So once the clock hit past ten, Penelope gave up and wandered off to the gardens, the book Athanasia's playmate — Lucas had gifted her in hand, carefree steps enjoying the morning breeze on much deserved break from her duties.

   Emily was surprised that her lady was not working, instead.

When crossing the patch of baby's breath on her way, Penelope stopped when she reached a certain interesting part, reading. It was quite nice — now that she noticed — titled 'The memoir of Aeternitas 'and was full of utter horseshit and lies, but hey it's your birthday! ' As said by him, she still couldn't believe the little brat was capable of being so thoughtful.

   'He still annoying' thought Penelope

She was absorbed in the book, when a sudden cool, heavy sensation placed her neck — startled, she was about to turn to face who it was, until she heard the faint words behind her.

"Happy birthday." he said, clasping what felt like jewelry around her neck. She grinned to herself, turning to face Claude who stood behind her.

   She was stunned that he actually said happy birthday but wondered why he gave her the jewelry.

"Thank you, your highness." she replied, fingers reaching out to touch the necklace. It was rather ... extravagant, she could tell. Not exactly her taste, but

"It's — a family heirloom." he explained, averting his eyes as if the flowers around were suddenly the most interesting thing.

   Most of them were confused on why he acted like that, but Penelope somehow felt touched by the gift given to her and couldn't understand why.

"This necklace has been passed down to generations of the Empresses in Obelia. And since you have now taken up the role for nearly a year — I thought it would be a fitting birthday gift to you. You don't have to wear it of course, but it's yours to keep, you can —" his rant was cut midway, by a pair of arms being thrown across his neck.

   The family wondered why Penelope reacted that way about a gift.

For a moment, he freezed in his place; he hadn't expected the all too sudden embrace. Had she liked that piece of junk so much? He thought, wide eyes looking down at the slender frame of the girl who whispered.

   The family all wondered the same thing as him.

"Thank you — I love it." one would think she was referring to the necklace, but the voice heavy with sentiment suggested something else; more than the necklace, he could tell it was the sense of belonging that she appreciated more.

   The family were silent on the statement ...................

It brought a smile to his face, his form relaxed — the scent he had come to appreciate so much evading his senses. So when the Empress tried to pull away, she felt stronger arms loop around her frame — tightening, his face hiding in the crook of her neck.

   Derrick was irritated with those actions but kept a calm face. His hand gripped the hands of the chairs til his knuckles turned white. Realizing he likes Penelope as more than a sister, was shocking but remember that she is not their biological sibling. He could help if he was wrong to like her that way but quickly dismissed it without a second thought.

It was weirdly intimate — standing in between the flower fields like this, but Penelope strangely didn't mind.

   Emily was happy that her lady was getting the love she deserves, the Duke was sad that his daughter was a grown up. Reynold looks away from the screen with a childish face of disgust. Penelope didn't show it but she was a bit surprised with herself on the screen. Derrick...however didn't like it at all but didn't show or say anything about it.

The book fell down from her hands, forgotten, as they came to touch the back of Claude's neck.

She couldn't see his face, but she could feel his grin growing on her neck.

"Happy birthday, Penelope."

    Penelope felt flustered by what she saw and tried to hide it with her fan but Emily saw her reaction and just grinned like a fool.