Chapter 8- Frozen Ground

()= Thinking/ Replacing

*= Actions

""= Phone

/= Whispers

--= Narrator

~~= Timeskip

Darren POV:

-"I love you." A word that was echoed in Darren's memory, however, even he cannot remember who said it to him before.-

I lifted my hair and glared at her.

Darren: Don't you know that Tohka can't start a space-quake or rampage anymore?

Origami: Her spirit powers are indeed gone, but we do not know the reason, we have to prepare for the worst.

Darren: Is there nothing that I say can convince you? Origami...

Origami just stared at me while I glared at her.

Origami: Why are you so fixated on saving the spirits? I have a question to ask you. During my operation, I was sure that I shot you through the heart and obliterated you.

I touched where my heart resides and kept staring at her.

Origami: What are you?

Darren: (Due to the reverse cursed technique, Kiriya restored my heart before I died.)

Darren: Origami, have you ever spoken to a spirit before?

Origami: It's unnecessary.

Darren: But me and Az have, not just Tohka, but the one you call "The Hermit" as well.

Origami: It's extremely dangerous, you should stop immediately.

I pointed to my head.

Darren: You see, I'm a few screws loose here, so I don't listen to other people well. So, I'm not giving up until we conclude here.

Origami gave me the emotionless look again as I grinned.

Darren: Just a little is enough. I don't care if you want to follow or not, of course, I know that there are spirits with bad intentions. But, Tohka and Yoshino are different, I'm not saying this because I care for them. Maybe I have a bit of bias towards them, but they are still very nice people. Az wants to save Yoshino, so as his best friend, I have to help him out you know.

I gripped my hands into a fist as I tried to calm myself down.

Darren: You're also nice, Origami, you put yourself in danger to fight spirits to save innocent people from losing anything... so why does it have to be this way?!

Origami: There's nothing we can do about that.

I scratched the back of my head and sighed.

Darren: So there's nothing that I say will convince you?

Origami: Yes, even if you are right and the Hermit is not aggressive, there will still be more Spacequakes.

Her phone suddenly started ringing with a spacequake alarm.

Origami: A mission! You should hurry to a shelter.

Darren: You know there's no way in hell I would.

Origami: Suit yourself then.

I stood up and released my glare on her.

Darren: Origami, one final question. If a spirit like Tohka lost her powers, would you still attack her?

Origami: It is not of my desires, but I cannot disobey my superiors and act according to my personal feelings.

Darren: I see, what a pain then. Living for someone else other than yourself, used to bother me, but I can see where you're coming from. That's what I needed to hear from you anyway.