Chapter 22

I entered Zyran's address into my phone and realized it was a 25-minute walk. Walking in high heels wouldn't be easy, but love makes you do crazy things.

As I started walking, a swarm of thoughts invaded my mind.

He hates you. Have you seen yourself? You're crazy! He'll never want someone like you.

It took everything in me not to listen. I knew my worth and couldn't let those thoughts win. Zyran loved me and that was all that mattered.

The darkness outside only fueled my paranoia. I felt constant touches and stares.

The unease escalated when I heard footsteps behind me. As I quickened my pace, so did they. Eventually, I broke into a run, breathless. The footsteps ceased when I stopped.

"Excuse me?" I yelled, turning around to find an old lady. "I'm sorry, darling, but have you seen my dog?"

Shaking my head, I suggested, "Maybe you can go to the little store down the street. I'm in a rush, so I can't help you, but they will." She smiled, and we walked to the nearby store.

"Excuse me? This lady lost her dog, and I was wondering if you could help her," I said to the storekeeper. She frowned at me, looking me up and down.

"What lady?"

Was she serious? Perplexed, I pointed at the old lady, still smiling beside me. "She's standing right next to me."

The storekeeper stared blankly. "Look, I don't know what drugs you're on, but there's nobody there."

Wait.

Was I...

I pulled out my phone, opened the camera app, and reality, I guess, struck— the old lady wasn't real.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Sorry." I mumbled before walking out of the store.

******

Twenty minutes later, I reached Zyran's house. Taking a deep breath, I pushed the door open. The darkness was pierced by the warm glow of a few candles.

"Zyran?"

After a few seconds, he walked in, and I couldn't resist checking him out. His body glistened with water, droplets sliding down. The moonlight highlighted his green eyes and physique, leaving me mesmerized. "Baby, you're drooling," Zyran remarked, amused.

"No, I'm not," I mumbled, wiping my wet chin. He let out a deep chuckle before moving closer and kissing me. "You're so fucking beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous in this dress," he breathed in his husky voice, grabbing my hand and twirling me around.

"How was Homecoming?" If only he knew. "I'll tell you about it, but... I need to share something with you first."

He narrowed his eyes, nodding slowly. "Okay, but let me get dressed firs-"

"No! You're good," I interrupted, stopping him in his tracks. He laughed, biting his lip. I led him to the couch, locking eyes with his mesmerizing green gaze.

"I've been thinking about it since the day you told me that you loved me." I said and he frowned. "What do you mean?" He asked, puzzled.

"I'm scared to love you." I whispered as I traced my finger along his sharp facial feautures.

His green eyes bored into mine. "Why?" Zyran asked so softly, his tone laced with pain and confusion.

I took a deep breath. "Because once I do, I'll never be able to stop."

Before he could say anything, I crashed my lips onto his and savoured the feeling of his soft lips against mine. He pulled me in a tight embrace and I knew that we were  locked in.