Chapter 26

Guided by God's force, I hurried through the hospital corridors until I reached the far corner where my family was gathered.

"Where the hell have you been, Ray?" Ignoring my dad's pointed question about my whereabouts, my focus was solely on the well-being of my little sister. There was no room for arguments in the face of such imminent danger.

I rushed towards Levi who paced the hallway as he aggressively cracked his knuckles. "How long have you been here?" I asked. He shrugged, responding, "An hour, maybe?"

Guilt consumed me, as if I had forsaken my family because I was fucking Zyran. The desire to turn back time lingered, but acceptance settled in. "I know you're overthinking and you feel guilty, but it's okay; you're here now," Levi reassured with a small smile, a gesture I gratefully reciprocated.

"Ray," Lara's voice interrupted my thoughts, and I found myself pulled into a hug. I was happy to see her, although her presence was unexpected.

"How are you?" she asked. "I don't know, you?" I replied.

The tears that strolled down her cheeks were more significant than any words could ever be.

As Isaac and Julian joined us, the circle of concern for Gigi's health expanded. Guilt weighed heavily within me, a consequence of allowing Bella too close, and now she had harmed my little sister. The regret intensified as I realized I could've intervened but wasn't there.

The weight of responsibility settled, and the thought of being with Zyran and Xavi became a source of deep remorse. Tears welled up as I grappled with the overwhelming sense of letting Gigi down.

You're so useless, you can't even protect your own sister. Just kill your self already, nobody will miss you anyway.

Despite my persistent efforts to dismiss the voices in my head, an undeniable truth lingered – they were right; I felt utterly useless. I was seventeen, grappling with a chronic mental disorder, I couldn't shake the belief that people like me don't go far in life. The question of the point in living loomed heavily because, what was the point in me living anyway?

Lost in my thoughts, I failed to notice the gathering around me until they enveloped me in hugs. Despite my aversion to pity, I recognized the deep need for connection. I needed to feel surrounded, even if the truth remained that, in essence, I was alone.

******

Family.

Family is like a warm hug, comforting us and filling our hearts with love. They're always there for us, supporting and guiding us to become the best we can be. In our family journey, we learn about love, respect, and the beautiful diversity of cultures and traditions, shaping us into who we are.

Unfortunately, my family was the complete fucking opposite.

As hard times hit, my family felt more fractured than ever. Levi and I were on one side, while Julian, Isaac, and Lara were on the other. The way we used to be, with parents leading the pack, had completely fallen apart.

We used to joke around and playfully tease each other, but now, arguments and disagreements made us feel like strangers living together.

This had been our situation at home ever since Gigi went into a coma.

******

We sued Bella for causing an overdose on a minor but since she was a minor too, we just received a large compensation from her parents. I hoped she would've suffered from her actions herself but no, all she had to do was ask her rich daddy for some money that he paid us cash, as if this meant nothing.