Chapter 35

It was fucking insane how no progress had been made in an entire damn week since my sister disappeared. I felt utterly hopeless. Each passing day, the odds of finding her seemed to be getting  further and further.

This whole situation was taking a toll on my family. The couple who had adopted me decided to call it quits after twenty years of marriage and thirty years together.

They broke the news to us in the most fucking  dramatic way. Sitting us down in the living room, they explained that their marriage wasn't the same anymore and that they were going their separate ways or whatever, I wasn't really listening. I couldn't give a fuck less, to be honest.

They proceeded to reassure us by yapping about how  they still loved each other and would always be there for us as parents, trying to pass it off as a mutual decision.

Mutual decision my fucking ass.

It was definitely Dimitri's call because I knew Divina would never agree to something so drastic.

Dimitri was what I'd look like without Dominica. A cheater and a liar. He'd been itching to split from Divina for ages; he just hadn't found a good enough excuse until now.

That fucking bastard had gotten exactly what he'd been waiting for, for years.

You're probably wondering how I know all this. Well, I've caught him fucking multiple women before, and unless he suddenly became a regular client of a mechanic named Pedro, I'd say it was safe to assume he was having an affair.

Between Gigi's health problems and Raya's disappearance, the timing couldn't have been worse. He was abandoning six children and his wife for girls probably half Divina's age.

Everything was unraveling at an alarming pace, and I feared that Raya's case was being forgotten amidst the chaos. Gigi still spoke of her, but her concern seemed subdued, and the rest of the family, though saddened, appeared resigned.

The absurdity of it all hit me so suddenly that I couldn't help but laugh, despite the heaviness of the situation. In just one week, our family had crumbled into dust.

The absence of Raya weighed heavily on me. The thought of her never returning home terrified me to the core. I needed her, her presence was a pillar of my life.

Losing someone like her felt like losing a vital piece of myself.

******

"Well, what would you do in my place?" Cameron asked.

I had invited Cameron over for a bros night because I needed to clear my head. We were currently sitting around a fire by the beach, the crackling flames providing a backdrop to our conversation.

He was seeking advice on what to do about his ex, who had come back to him after he caught her kissing Mason.

"Look, Cam, I know you love that girl. I don't know the ins and outs of your relationship, but if you truly believe you can trust her and that she was real with you, I'd say give her a second chance. Otherwise, you'll end up regretting it when you see that she's moved on and you haven't," I advised, drawing from my own experiences.

"How was your relationship with her?" I inquired.

"It was perfect. We were so in love, too in love. That's actually why we broke up in the first place," he explained, a hint of nostalgia in his tone.