Epilogue

~ 2 years later ~

"Raya? It's time for your meds, open the door," the nurse called out from the other side of my door.

I slowly opened the door to reveal Monique standing there with her tray filled with medication for the whole hallway.

"Here's yours," she said, handing me a small orange box and a plastic water cup. I swallowed everything down obediently. "Good girl," she smiled before continuing her rounds down the hallway.

As you might have guessed, I had been institutionalized.

After that day at therapy with Miranda two years ago, nothing was the same at home. I fought with everyone, even with the bitch I once called my brother, about the dumbest things. I also experienced severe mood swings, going from extreme anger and violence to apologies.

Divina had grown tired of me and forced me in here. I was in fucking Texas, far away from everyone I loved.

I was just hurting but they didn't understand.

Here, I had nobody to talk to or interact with.

Each floor was dedicated to a specific mental disorder, and I was stuck with people much older than me who required a very strict routine to maintain stability.

At night, sleep was impossible due to the screams and paranoid ramblings of some patients, warning us against 'conspiracies of the institution against us'.

Never before in my life had I felt so lonely.

Despite following my therapy regimen obediently, taking my medication without resistance, and behaving well, I was still trapped here.

I was okay. The voices were still present, but at least I was making progress in recovering from the events of two years ago.

A knock on my door jolted me from my thoughts, and I greeted Miranda with a smile as she entered. Returning her warm hug, I appreciated her presence in my room.

"How are you feeling?" Miranda's concern was palpable as she settled on my desk while I sat on the edge of my bed.

"Can I ask you for a favor?" I addressed the topic with a heavy heart.

"Of course, sweetheart. What is it?" Miranda's gentle smile encouraged me to continue.

"I want you to kill me," I confessed, my voice trembling with emotion.

Miranda's eyes widened in shock, a hand instinctively reaching for her heart. "What?"

"Yes, I want you to facilitate medically assisted dying for me," I repeated, my sentence firm despite the tears streaming down my face. "Raya, why?" Miranda's voice trembled with concern.

"I feel like I have nothing left, Miranda. Apart from you and Monique, I'm utterly alone here. I can't bear the thought of spending my life in this place, gradually losing my mind. I've seen what happens to the old residents, and I refuse to become like them," I confessed, some of my words incoherent because of my sobs.

Miranda's expression softened, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "I could never do that to you, Raya," she declared, her voice filled with compassion.

"It's either that, or I'll kill myself," I declared, my desperation evident in my tone.

"Raya, there's always something worth living for, even if it's hard to see right now," Miranda attempted to reassure me, but my mind was made up.

"You have a life, a family beyond these walls, Miranda. I don't. They rejected me. What's the point of living if there's no one to love you?" I lamented, my despair echoing through the room.

"Miranda, someone is waiting for you," Monique's interruption broke the tension. "I'll be back, I promise. Please, don't do anything stupid, Raya," she pleaded before disappearing into the dimly lit hallway.

Alone, again.

******

Fucking recreation. I hated it.

Everyone came together, but I decided to sit by a distant tree. Leaning against the fence behind me, I observed the interactions unfolding before me. Among the familiar faces, one unfamiliar figure caught my attention. Squinting to get a clearer view, I eventually approached for a closer look.

Resting against a concrete wall, I observed him from a distance. People approached him, but he seemed disinterested, dismissing them with a wave of his hand.

He possessed a striking appearance. Brown, tousled curls framed his face, accentuating his thick, straight eyebrows and captivating hazel eyes. Despite his small lips, they held a natural fullness and rosy colour. Sharp features complemented his well-defined jawline, and his tall stature added to his allure.

"What?" His voice, deep and resonant, startled me, causing a slight jump.

I was so focused on his beauty that I couldn't even remember his question.

"Why the fuck are you staring at me?" His tone, though frustrated, intrigued me as he tilted his head, awaiting my response.

Drawing closer, I extended my hand. "I—I'm Raya," I introduced myself with a smile.

Eyebrows raised at my gesture, our eyes met briefly as he regarded me with a skeptical gaze. A faint smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he shook my hand in return.

"I'm Corrado."

THE END

Thank you sooo much for reading my book! I hope you liked it and that the end wasn't too confusing.

Love you💕

TARAJY