All a waste of time

"And what did they say?" Mia asked curiously.

He settled down on the chair and she did so too while waiting eagerly for him to speak up.

"They didn't say much but they said that the gun he used was a ghost gun, of which they had seen a lot throughout the month. They suspect a gang runs the whole thing but are not sure and also haven't been able to trace them."

"But supposing it was a gang as suspected, why would they want to kill you? Have you had any bad records with any gang before?"

"No. I don't think I have, maybe not one that I was aware of. We need not worry about it, the police promised to do their best and even offered to send officers to protect me but I declined. I'd just work on my security system and it'll be fine" he tried assuring her.

"It's not as easy as you say it, it may be more..."

"Nat, no more police talk, let's cut your cake"

"This isn't something to take lightly, you..." her mouth was suddenly filled with a large piece of cake.

She stared daggers at him as she chewed the cake quickly and angrily but then slowed down and chewed it gradually; this was the first time in a long time that she ate something this sweet and she wanted to hate it but couldn't. Then that feeling of guilt crept in again...

Anton expected an outburst but rather she spoke calmly.

"The cake is worth the work you put in; it's nice and soft"

"You also know that it's true that you did most of the work, I was just an apprentice"

"Fine then,if you don't want the acknowledgement, I'll take it" she shrugged.

"I thought you'll refuse it one more time, then I'd collect it, but turns out you're not so patient" he half smiled and half laughed.

Mia put her hand in her pocket and felt the sedative.

'No matter what, I'm doing this tonight'

"Make a wish and blow out the candle" he said immediately he lit it.

"But you already fed me some of the cake, I don't think the candle thing is necessary"

"I only used the cake to shut you up so it doesn't count. Now make a wish."

"Fine"

She closed her eyes and made a wish in her head.

'I wish to find my parents murderer' and she blew out the candle.

******
She put his hand over her shoulder as she pulled him up the stairs.

"Hey I'm telling you the truth, I'm not drunk" Anton said in his defense but Mia wasn't listening.

"Nat please, I'm just feeling a bit dizzy but that's all"

She didn't reply but just keep pulling him upstairs. No doubt he had some weight.
She strengthened her hand around his waist and continued the journey.

"You're so cold and stubborn" He said and snuggled towards her for more support.

Once they had successfully ended the journey of the stairs, Anton's hand that was on her shoulder slipped down and his head fell to her shoulder indicating that he was asleep.

Mia sighed; at least they were able to make it upstairs before he fell asleep. She tried pulling him but his weight was pulling her the other way.
She took out her phone and dialed Luther's number.

"Hello"

"Remember what we discussed?"

"Yeah"

"It's time, do your thing and fast" with that she hung up.