The Seawall

Written: January 25, 2024

If context is needed, refer to More Than a Dream (In my profile somewhere)

I wake up to the sound of the American bugles. It is 8 am, and in the distance, the US anthem could be heard. After its melody ceased, the Japanese anthem began playing. I sing along to the lyrics.

Kimigayo wa (May your reign)
Chiyo ni yachiyo ni (Last for 1,800 generations)
Sazare-ishi no (Until the tiny pebbles)
Iwao to nartie (Grow into massive boulders)
Koke no musu made (Lush with moss)

It's a short but sweet anthem. I hear the bugle once again from the base and get out of bed. I look out the window to see a tall barbed-wire fence dividing my land from the military base.
"Camp Kinser." I grumbled, sticking a metallic pin in my hair. "Those damned Marines." I don't mind Americans at all. I like it when they attempt to speak Japanese with their adorable accents. But the thing I hate about Americans is how their damned countryhuman occupies half the island with his bases!

I must admit, I love playing with American kids when they come off base with their families. Their parents are also really sweet. A lot of Americans I know are expats here. That means they think my island is better than America. That makes me happy.

I hop out of bed and brush my teeth. After I do that, I go to my closet to check on my pet snake, Habu Babu. My brother, South Korea, wasn't too happy when I adopted a venomous snake for a pet. I open the door to the room, which I have made a huge terrarium for Habu Babu. The snake was sleeping under the blanket fort I made for him. Smiling, I skip off to the freezer to get him his food. In a dish, I place a generous morsel of diced meat and feed it to Habu Babu.

I get dressed in a navy-blue blouse and indigo skirt I bought last week with Japan. Today, I'm going to the seawall with her and the Korea twins. North Korea is anxious today. He's nervous about proposing to his girlfriend, Russia. I met her when I was in second grade. North had been in a coma after a car accident and she checked on him every day. At some point, she'd be the one taking me to the hospital to see him. Russia is awesome!

North promised me that I could be the flower girl if Russia said yes. The idea of it makes me giddy. I know I'm almost seventeen, but I never really grew up.

"Okinawa! Come on!" Japan called from the kitchen. My name is Ryukyu, actually, but I don't mind being called Okinawa.

"Coming!" I hollered, flashing down the hall.
As I rushed down the hallway, I couldn't help but feel a surge of excitement for the day ahead. The prospect of being the flower girl at North and Russia's potential engagement was like a sprinkle of magic in an otherwise ordinary day.
Japan, standing by the kitchen, arched an eyebrow at my enthusiastic entrance.

"Someone's in a hurry. The seawall won't disappear, you know."
I grinned, my energy unabated.

"I know, but we can't keep the seawall waiting for us, can we?"
Japan chuckled, a rare sight.

"Fair enough. Let's get going then."

We walked to the seawall together, the sound of waves greeting us as we approached. The breeze carried the salty scent of the sea, and the sun painted the sky with hues of orange and pink.
As we arrived, I spotted the twins already there. North paced nervously, occasionally glancing at the small box in his pocket, while South tried to calm him down with a mix of stern words and light-hearted jokes.

"Hey, Oki!" South waved, flashing a quick smile.

"Hi, South!" I greeted, joining them. "Where's Russia? Did North tell her yet?"