Espionage on the Enamored

Written: March 17, 2024

I wake up with a giddy smile. Today is the day! North is going to propose to Russia! I hop out of bed and check Habu Babu's terrarium. He's resting in a rock house I put the other day. I rush out of my room to wash my face and get Habu Babu some food. After placing the offering in his tank, I wash my hands and meet my siblings downstairs.

"Will you marry me?" North tries the words on his tongue. "Will you marry me?" He repeats, sounding more stressed.

His face gets redder and redder as he runs through the words in his head over and over. "Will you marry me?"

South, in all his wisdom, rolls his ears in irritation. "Just ask the damn question, North!"

North shoots a glare at South, who quickly shuts his mouth and looks the other way. The tension in the air is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

North takes a deep breath, steadying himself. He looks down at the box in his hands, squeezing it tightly. "Will you... marry me?"

"Much better." South nods. "Try to be—" He searches for a word, "more confident." Japan sips a cup of green tea, watching the twins prepare. I sit by her and start breakfast.

"North's proposal is this evening." Japan offers me a cup of tea. "I'm sure it's at the river in Carmedine Park." She adds.

"That sounds about right." I respond, taking a sip of the tea. I nod my head in gratitude. "I hope it goes well." I can feel the blood pumping throughout my body, the butterflies in my stomach. My heart beats faster than it ever has. I want everything to go smoothly. I want to see North and Russia happy together. I want everything about this night to be perfect for them.

I watch as North fumbles for his phone. He hastily dials Russia's number and in the most well-crafted mask of confidence and stoicism he can put on, he says,

"Russia, uhh, are we still on for tonight?...Carmedine Park?...Okay, see you at seven!"

He ends the call and stuffs his phone back into his pocket. When his eyes meet mine, he lets out a long sigh of relief. "I did it!" North proclaims, his face lighting up with excitement.

"Yeah, you did." I roll my ears sarcastically. "Let's hope she doesn't stand you up though, huh?" South teases with a sly grin.

"Shut up, South." North retaliates, shooting him an angry glare.

"Let's hope she says yes?" I pipe up, hoping to diffuse the tension between the two brothers.

"I, for one, am rooting for you, North." Japan calmly reports. "If a life with Russia is truly what you want, I wish every happiness for you two."

North's face brightens a bit at Japan's well-wishes. "Thank you. I'm so nervous though! What if she doesn't like the ring? What if she doesn't want to marry me at all? I'm freaking out here!"

"It will be fine." South reassures. I watch as the tensions in the room escalate. Carefully, I carry the dishes to the sink and wash them, ears keen for drama. I peek my head out of the kitchen: North and South are arguing as usual, while Japan is documenting the interaction for blackmail purposes. I chuckle and dry the dishes, sorting them in their respective cupboards.

I quickly enter my room and play with Habu Babu. "Isn't it exciting?" I ask the snake. "My brother might get married!" As thoughts of North and Russia's union race through my mind, the aching smile on my face wanes.

If North gets married, he might move out. What if he doesn't decide to stay at home with us? What if he moves far away? Will I miss him? Of course, but I have to be happy for him. A pit of anxiety drops in my stomach. I want North to be happy, but I'm not ready to let him go.

_______

South, Japan, and I hide in the bushes by the riverbank. North and Russia soon come into view as they walk along the cobblestones.

"Why don't we sit by the river and see the sunset?" North suggests.

"Yes!" South pumps his fist in the air. Japan watches, amused. North and Russia sit by each other near the riverbank, watching as the sun dips below the horizon. My heart pounds in my throat as I watch North and Russia talk amongst themselves.

I smile at their peaceful conversation, though it's almost difficult to see them from the bush. North and Russia seem so happy together, as if nothing would ever tear them apart. A part of me can't help but feel jealous of them, but there's nothing I can do about that.

As the sun continues to fall lower in the sky, a wave of sadness hits me. Things are changing around me and I can't control it. I'm happy for North and Russia, really, even if I can't help but feel a bit lonely.

"Russia," North starts, the slightest hint of a blush present on his face.

"Hm?" Russia slightly turns to make eye contact with North. North reaches into his pocket and pulls out the ring box.

"Russia, you are the sunrise to my sunset, the bullet to my gun, the explosion to my nuclear bomb." He shyly opens the box, the ring gliatening in the dying rays of the sun. "Will you marry me?" His voice is barely audible. Russia sits frozen, clearly confused and shocked. When she processes the question, Russia jumps on North, trapping him in a hug. She nods violently.

As I watch from afar, a smile widens across my face. My brother is engaged. For real. Suddenly, the thought of North getting married doesn't seem so bad anymore. As I watch Russia and North in their embracing moment, I feel a warmth inside my heart. They're so adorable together, so perfect and so happy. As the two of them embrace, I can't help but giggle to myself.

South Korea tears up with a wide smile. Japan's eyes are glued to the scene in front of us. We all know what's happening and what is to come: Our North Korea is getting married.

 We all know what's happening and what is to come: Our North Korea is getting married

Now they're properly engaged. MTaD readers get it, right?

Also, I kinda want to eat glue again.