Useless Child

Written: March 18, 2024

After a few weeks of North panicking about the wedding, South Korea pulling North's leg, and Japan throwing medicine textbooks at them, a date for the wedding is determined. North will get married in May. I walk down the streets of Naha, passing by the buzz of tall buildings and small businesses. Out of the blue, my ears pick up three familiar voices.

"Whad'ya think'll happen to Lester?" Camp Kinser's elderly gravelly voice asks. America's bases are here. Curious, I take a peek around the corner. Camp Kinser, Camp Foster, and Torii Station are sitting at a table outside a cafe.

Camp Kinser is the oldest of them. He's green with red and gold outlines. In the center of his face, is a torii gate with the US Marine coat of arms resting in front.

Across from him is Camp Foster, or Zukeran. He is a white flag with a blue outline. In gold words, the blue trimming reads, "Marine Corps Base. Camp Smedley D. Butler." In the center of his flag is a bright red torii gate, just like Kinser.

Beside him, sits the unsmiling Torii Station. His face is black with the US Army star in the center. Behind it is a white and gold torii gate.

I listen in on their conversation. Camp Foster takes a sip from his coffee and answers Kinser. "Lester? I heard that Ame's planning on returning him to Okinawa."

"Hah! Like that's ever gonna happen." Kinser scoffs. "The contract was made ages ago. The only progress made is the closing of the Naval Hospital!"

"Camp Zama up in Tokyo says that part of Foster and you will be given back, too." Torii reports.

"You soldiers know nothing." Foster interjects. "Ame don't keep no promises."

I watch as the older bases discuss their possible return home. Camp Kinser seems to have a more optimistic outlook, while Camp Foster seems more pessimistic that he may return. I'm intrigued by their conversation, particularly Foster's response about the contract and broken promises. I wonder if all bases across the world will be returned, or just these three in Okinawa. I'm also surprised that the younger bases in Tokyo, such as Camp Zama, could soon be returning as well.

"You know, yer just mad because Dunkin Donuts revoked their contract with the US Armed Forces." Kinser nodded at Foster. Foster gasped.

"It's true." Torii said coolly. "You Marines are getting fat anyway."

"That's not what Kadena says." Kinser calmly adds. "Be nice to your brother, Torii."

"That's cuz Deena has the best quality of life for the military families." Foster huffs. He straightens his position before turning to Torii. "What's to come of Camp Hansen, Courtney, and Schwab?" Torii mixes his drink, eyes fixed on a distant point before answering.

"Courtney and Hansen...they're meant for housing. Schwab hold our assets."

"The little tots won't be here long." Kinser sighs. "Foster and I already renovated and built more living spaces."

"Yeah, Courtney and Hansen can go. They're useless to us." Foster crushes his cup and tosses it in the trash.

"I'll ask Deena more about the situation. Maybe even White Beach." Kinser says, taking a sip. "Those ladies know some things."

"Or we could ask Torii. He's in charge of everything." Foster and Kinser turn their heads to the unsmiling Station.

"Courtney and Hansen are likely to be returned to Okinawa." Torii repots, his tone grave for whatever reason.

"Ah, right! Speaking of which, I saw Oki with Ame on my camp a while back." Foster slaps his hand on the table, causing Kinser's eyebrows to scrunch up.