Clash

Written: March 24, 2024

"Come on, Oki," North starts, "we're going to China's."

"Unannounced?" I ask, tilting my head to the side.

"No. I called Taiwan and said I was coming with you to hang out." North answers, pulling on his boots.

I couldn't quite hide the look of confusion on my face as he mentioned calling Taiwan ahead of time. But, I figured that things would hopefully become clear once we actually went to China's. I had so many questions running through my mind right now, but I was determined to push those aside and ask those questions at a later time. For now, I simply nodded and stood up, starting to follow North.

The walk to our cousins' house was calm, quiet, and enjoyable. The sun was bright and bathed the land with a gentle warmth. I was holding tightly onto North's hand as we did for years. The trees rustled softly against the barely perceptible breeze.

As we reached the entrance, North tightened his grip slightly before letting go of my hand. We walked up the steps towards the front door, and I started to feel a faint sense of nervousness. The last time I visited, it was very awkward—and the fact they knew I tried to kill myself doesn't help.

I watched as North knocked on the door with clear authority, a small nervous feeling forming in my gut as the moment of reunion drew near. We heard footsteps approaching the door as the sound of the locks clicked and the door opened, revealing China standing there in all her stunning beauty. Her eyes immediately flew to North before she shifted her attention to me, a slight look of confusion crossing her features when she saw me. I wasn't sure how to interpret her facial expression... was it disappointment? Surprise? Or was it something else entirely?

"You're alive? I thought North was being sarcastic." The sound of China's shocked voice snapped me out of my thoughts, realizing that I was standing there staring blankly at her since she had opened the door. My face instantly heated up out of embarrassment as North giggled softly at her reaction. I forced out a small chuckle as well, relieved that she hadn't taken any offense to my earlier situation.

"What happened to 'hi' or 'hello,' Demon Spawn?" North questions. China rolls her golden eyes.

"Shut up, Rocket Man."

I felt a small wave of mirth rise to my face as China's witty and sharp tongue made its appearance again. Her and North's interactions always had me grinning from ear to ear, and her witty remarks didn't disappoint.

Taiwan makes his way to the door, shoving China aside. "Why don't you let them in already, idiot?" He intones before turning to North and me. "Come in. Tea is ready." Taiwan offers a polite smile before letting us in. North removes his boots and sets them on the porch. I do the same with my sandals.

I giggled softly to myself as I stepped inside the door and watched Taiwan shove China aside once again, the playful banter between the siblings being something I enjoyed witnessing. He was quite different from China, yet not in a bad way. His blunt and straightforward manner was actually quite refreshing, and his smile was very charming too—just like his sister's. He even offered us tea, the warmth and sincerity of his gesture reaching my heart in an instant. I felt a fresh rush of optimism and happiness flood my body.

"Any news?" China pours everyone a cup of tea. North nods.

"South Korea managed to get the microwave to explode again." North says before having a sip of his tea.

"Ban him from ever setting foot in a kitchen ever again." Taiwan suggests. "Or teach him what is okay to microwave."

I watch the interaction while taking sips from the cup. Green tea has an herbal and translucently bitter taste, which is refreshing.