Fish Market Adventures

Written: February 5, 2024

Based on true events

Today, I want to make sushi. Sushi is yummy. Tuna, salmon, squid, fish eggs, mmm. I don't want to go to the grocery store. It's crowded and there isn't a lot of fish. Instead, I decide to go to Tomari to buy some fresh fish. I grab my wallet and drive past Camp Kinser to Naha. I take a right to see the Tomari Fish Market. I park the car and pull open the door to enter the spacious enclosed area.

It smells so bad in here. Well, it's fish, I guess. The store is pretty much sterile and there are even eating areas. I pass by the ready-made sushi assortment to the fishmonger stand.

"Sumi-sumi masen. Kono sashimi wa nan yen desu ka?" My ears perk up as I hear that familiar voice: SSGT Evans! I dash around the corner and see him in civilian attire, glancing back and forth between his phone and a merchant.

"Need some help?" I offer. SSGT Evans slightly turns his head to see me. A grin perks up on his lips and he nods. "Hey there, Oki! Perfect timing," SSGT Evans replies with a smile. "I'm trying to figure out the best sashimi for a special dinner tonight. Any recommendations?"

I glance at the selection of fresh fish behind the counter, each glistening with a tempting allure. "For a special dinner, you can't go wrong with the toro. It's rich and melts in your mouth."

He nods appreciatively, "Great choice. How about you? What brings you to the market today?"

"I'm in the mood to make some sushi," I reply, my eyes still scanning the variety of fish. "Any preferences or just a mix of everything?"

SSGT Evans laughs, "Surprise me! I trust your taste. Oh, and if you need any help, I'm here."

I flash a quick grin, "Deal. I might take you up on that offer!"

As I continue selecting the freshest ingredients for my sushi adventure, the lively atmosphere of the market and SSGT Evans' unexpected presence add an unexpected vibrancy to the day.

"You should totally bring home some sea grapes or salmon eggs." I suggest as a merchant wraps a chunk of tuna in a newspaper. "They are absolutely delicious."

"Sea grapes? We have nothing like that in New York!" SSgt Evans exclaims, grabbing his bagged fish from the merchant. SSgt Evans and I pass by a tank of lobsters.

"If you want to try crab meat, we're nearing that section." I suggest, carrying bags upon bags of fish and sea grapes.

"Sea grapes and salmon eggs, huh? Seafood here is different." SSGT Evans muses, intrigued.

"Why not?" He follows me towards the section with crab meat, the lively colors and textures of the market creating a visual symphony.

I point to the tanks with lively lobsters, "Fresh crab is just a step away. You can't beat the taste when it's this close to the source."

As we approach the crab section, the vendor showcases a variety of crab meat. "Soft shell or king crab?" the vendor asks, ready to prepare the chosen delicacy.

"What do you think, Oki?" SSGT Evans looks at me with a playful grin. "Surprise me again."

I chuckle, "Alright, let's go for the king crab. It's a flavor explosion."

The vendor nods, swiftly preparing a portion of king crab meat. We gather our selected treasures, the bags filled with a delightful assortment of seafood. The vibrant market experience continues, promising a sushi feast that goes beyond the ordinary.

"Next time, I'm bringing the kids." SSgt Evans says. "I've been exploring local stores and farmer's markets and I feel like Jack and Emma would love to help with grocery shopping."

"Convenience stores are just the place to grab them a treat." I say as we walk out the door. "They're at the end of every street."

"Hah. Just need to get the hang of basic Japanese." SSgt Evans chuckles. "Otherwise, I and my fellow Jarheads will slip up a letter and wreak havoc." I tilt my head.

"Jarheads? What are those?"

"Just what the Doggies, Swabbies, Chair Forcers, and Puddle Jumpers call us Marines." We stand by the building and he elaborates. "The soldiers are "doggy," the seamen are "swabbie," the airmen are "chair force," the Coast Guard is "puddle jumper," and us Marines are "jarheads." Just the way of the US military."

I nod, absorbing the colorful terminology of the military branches. "Interesting nicknames. I guess every branch has its own way of referring to each other. Jarheads it is then."

As we step out into the bustling streets of Tomari, the aroma of fresh seafood lingering in the air, I can't help but feel grateful for this unexpected encounter at the fish market. The prospect of sharing a sushi feast with SSgt Evans and the possibility of involving his kids in future market adventures adds a touch of joy to my day.

"On Monday, I'll be back in my monkey suit." SSgt Evans sighs.

"Monkey suit?"

"Military lingo for uniform."

I chuckle at the name, "Got it, the Monday monkey suit routine. Well, enjoy your weekend freedom while it lasts."

The banter continues as we navigate through the market, our conversation weaving through topics ranging from military life to the nuances of local cuisine. The vibrant tapestry of life on my island unfolds, uniting two seemingly different worlds in the shared experience of a bustling fish market.

When I get home, the rice is already cooked and ready for molding. Carefully, I unwrap the block of tuna, salmon, and prawns. I wash my hands and then dip them in a bowl of water. A porcelain plate rested on the counter beside me as I began molding small globs of rice.

I wash the corpses and dismember them with a knife.

"Oki?" South strolls into the room. "What are you making?"

"Sushi." I gesture for my brother to come over. "Want to help?"

"Sure." I point to a bag. "There are bean sprouts and sea grapes there. Can you put them on three plates for Japan, you and me?"

"Bet." South washes the vegetables and prepares them on three white plates. He sets them on the tatami while I spoon fetal corpses onto the sushi. In a dish, I pour soy sauce and take it to the tatami. As South prepares the green tea, Japan joins us for dinner.

"Sushi tonight?" She quipped. "Can't wait."

The three of us sit down for our meal. The nuttiness of the fresh bean sprouts balanced the salty sea grapes as they bursted in my mouth. It's like eating a random piece of seaweed off the shore but better. The salmon melts in my mouth like butter and the tang of soy sauce on the fish eggs suddenly caused me to remember Habu Babu and his love for eggs. I needed to feed him.

After dinner, I thaw some meat and take it to my room. Habu Babu quickly takes in the morsel, hissing in contentness. I change into more comfortable clothing and lean on the wall, texting Austrailia.

DemonChild: "Why weren't you at school on Friday?"

IEatSeaGlass4Fun: "Came down with the flu."

Okay, that was a lie, but I don't need another person worrying about my nonesxistant mental issues.

DemonChild: "Get well soon, m8. I missed you."

IEatSeaGlass4Fun: "I'll probably be back on Monday."

DemonChild: "Cya then."

That's one thing I have for sure in my life: I'll see Aussie at school tomorrow.

I wrote the draft on Google Docs in Comic Sans and words flowed out like a river. THANK YOU, PINTEREST!