Finding Peace

Written: March 1, 2024

The relentless rhythm of my footsteps echoes through the forest, a steady drumbeat of determination driving me forward. With each stride, I push myself harder, faster, as if trying to outrun the demons that haunt me – the memories, the shame, the pain.

But no matter how fast I run, I cannot escape the truth that claws at my soul, tearing at the fragile threads of my identity. I am not just Okinawa, the carefree girl who once roamed the beaches of Australia with laughter in her heart. I am also Joseon, the daughter of a tyrant, and a mess.

And as I run, my breaths ragged and uneven, I feel the weight of my dual existence bearing down on me like a burden too heavy to bear. How can I reconcile the contradictions within me – the desire for freedom, for autonomy, with the ingrained belief that my worth lies solely in my submission to others?

But even as doubt gnaws at the edges of my resolve, a voice – my own voice, tinged with the echoes of Amma's spirit – whispers words of encouragement, urging me to keep moving, to keep fighting, no matter the odds.

With each passing moment, I feel myself drawing closer to a truth that I cannot yet grasp – a truth that lies beyond the confines of my past, beyond the limitations imposed upon me by others. And though the path ahead may be fraught with uncertainty and danger, I know that I must press on, for it is only by confronting the darkness within that I can hope to find the light of redemption.

"Ry, please!" Australia chased after me, his voice strained. "What did I do wrong?" I stop abruptly, my chest heaving with exertion as I turn to face Australia, my eyes clouded with a mixture of fear and confusion. His words hang in the air like a heavy weight, each syllable laden with the weight of unspoken emotions.

"What did I do wrong?" Australia's voice trembles with desperation, his eyes searching mine for answers. But all I can offer him is a helpless shrug, my mind a whirlwind of conflicting emotions.

"It's not you," I manage to choke out, my voice barely above a whisper. "It's... it's me. I'm sorry."

But even as the words leave my lips, I know that they are not enough – that no apology can erase the pain and confusion that I have caused. And as Australia stands before me, his expression filled with hurt and disappointment, I realize that I have no choice but to confront the truth – that my actions have consequences, and that I cannot escape the consequences of my own choices.

And with that, I turn and continue running, my footsteps echoing through the forest as I disappear into the darkness, leaving Australia behind with nothing but unanswered questions and a heart heavy with regret.

"Just know that I love you!" I called out, warm tears flying along my face. My phone buzzes in the cotton pocket of my skirt. It was South. Reluctantly, I reach into my pocket and answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Oki." South's voice came through the static. "Where are you, and more concerningly, why is Australia sobbing your name?" "South," I respond, my voice catching in my throat as I struggle to compose myself. "I'm... I'm sorry. I had to leave. I couldn't stay there any longer."

There's a long pause on the other end of the line, filled with static and uncertainty. I can almost hear the gears turning in South's mind as he tries to make sense of my sudden departure.

"Are you okay?" South's voice is laced with concern, his words a lifeline in the midst of my turmoil.

"I don't know," I admit, my voice trembling with emotion. "I just needed to get away. Away from... everything."

I can sense South's frustration, his worry for me palpable even through the phone line. But I know that I can't burden him with the weight of my troubles – not when he has his own demons to wrestle with.