Bugging My Brothers

Written: January 27, 2024

A few days later, I find out that North will be dealing with business in Pyongyang for a few weeks. I approach his room with a playful grin, stepping in, unsolicited.

The atmosphere in North's room is different—more serious and meticulously organized, a reflection of his disciplined demeanor. He glances up from his paperwork, raising an eyebrow at my unexpected intrusion.

"Hey there, North! Heard you'll be away for a few weeks. Gonna miss your brooding presence around here," I tease, twirling a strand of hair between my fingers.

North chuckles, a rare sight. "Well, someone's going to have to bring a bit of chaos in my absence, I suppose."

I plop down on his meticulously made bed, grinning mischievously. "Don't worry, I've got that covered. Maybe I'll rearrange your bookshelf or something."

He eyes me with a mixture of amusement and skepticism. "Please, don't. I just organized it by genre and publication date."

I mock gasp, placing a hand over my heart. "The horror! Okay, I'll resist the urge to wreak havoc on your bookshelf. But, you know, you could use a break from all this seriousness. Let's do something fun before you leave."

North arches an eyebrow, a hint of curiosity breaking through his composed exterior. "Fun, you say? What did you have in mind?"

I ponder for a moment, then a mischievous glint appears in my eyes. "How about we play pretend, like we used to all the time."

He smirks, setting aside his paperwork. "You never grow up. I'm a grown-ass adult."

"You've been an adult for most of my childhood." I retort, feigning sadness. North chuckles, a rare display of amusement.

"Fair point. So, what's the scenario for our pretend game?"

I lean in, my eyes dancing with excitement. "We're explorers on a quest for a mythical treasure hidden in the heart of the jungle. The catch? We have to navigate through treacherous terrain, decode ancient maps, and face imaginary creatures to find it."

North raises an eyebrow, a smirk playing on his lips. "A jungle adventure, huh? Alright, Captain Oki, lead the way. I'm curious to see what challenges you've concocted."

With a theatrical flourish, I grab an imaginary map and hand him an imaginary compass. "Our journey begins now! Watch out for quicksand, North, it's a jungle out there."

We indulge in the playful make-believe world, the serious undertones of North's imminent trip momentarily forgotten. Laughter punctuates our banter as we navigate through the imaginary jungle, our pretend adventure a delightful escape from reality.

As we engage in the whimsical exploration, I catch glimpses of the brother I used to play with, a nostalgic connection rekindled in the midst of our shared imagination. Maybe, in these moments of lighthearted pretend, we can bridge the gap between us.

"Have you arranged a date with Russia yet?" I ask, lying on the carpet next to North. He shakes his head, sighing, glancing at the velvet box perched on his desk.

"What if she says no?" He contemplates. "I'm afraid to find out."

I prop myself up on my elbows, studying North's contemplative expression. "You've got this, North. Just be genuine and let her know how you feel. If it's meant to be, she'll say yes. And if not, well, you're still you, and that's pretty awesome."

He shoots me a half-smile, appreciating the simplicity of the advice. "Thanks, Captain Oki. Maybe I should bring her a jungle flower or something."

I chuckle. "That might be a bit much, but go for it if you think it'll make her smile. Remember, relationships are a bit like navigating through the jungle – unpredictable, full of surprises, but also filled with the potential for incredible discoveries."