Cultural Exchange

February 21, 2024

The next day, I find myself aimlessly strolling around Naha. North is on leave so he can recover from jet lag. Japan is at university and South is at work. I tried texting Australia earlier. He says that Bertha should lay eggs in a few weeks. I stand still on the sidewalk. Sunlight filters through the branches and maglev trains zoom overhead.

I decide to pay a visit to Lawson and get some ice cream. As I enter, a bell jingles and customers along with the three cashiers stare in my direction. I offer a bow which they all reciprocate. A few children tug at their parent's legs and point.

"Otō-san! Oka-san!"

"Okinawa is here!"

"She came to this shop!"

I awkwardly wave and head over to the furthest corner of the shop in which there is an icebox full of all sorts of ice cream. I stare through the chilled glass, eyes scanning its contents. I open the icebox and pick out a chocolate-vanilla soft serve. I walk over to the cashier.

I hand them the ice cream and place two hundred yen in a money tray. The cashier collects the money and hands me back the ice cream.

"Arigatougozaimashita!" She says with a bow. I bow back and skip out with my ice cream. I open the wrapping and throw it in the trash. A few young smokers leaned against a wall, chatting and blowing smoke.

I hastily eat up my ice cream, racing against the daytime heat to finish it. When I finish, I sit at a bench that faces the ocean. It's so breathtaking today. The shimmering sun reflects over the crystal ocean. Fluffy clouds dot the horizon as sea foam crashes onto the seawall. The saline scent fills the air. The ocean is my favorite place. Perhaps when the tide recedes I'll explore the seafloor.

I sigh contently and gaze at the seemingly endless waters. The East China Sea is my favorite one. It's much more beautiful when you visit Nago or White Beach. I took my siblings camping at White Beach one time. North threw us in the ocean multiple times. South got stranded on a micro island after the tide rose and we swam to save him. Japan sat by the bonfire, throwing sticks into it. I want to go there again.

"Hey Oki-tot." America's voice cuts through the tranquility.

"Hi." I move over on the bench, making space for him. He sits down and looks over at me.

"Would you like to do a cultural exchange?" I cock an eyebrow at his suggestion. "Y'know, I take you to Camp Foster and you try some authentic American food."

"Isn't that a Marine Camp?"

"You have a military ID, remember? You're allowed on base." I consider the suggestion. It would be nice to go to an American base. Plus, I have nothing better to do.

"Sure, let's do this." I stand up from the bench. Camp Foster is about an hour's walk from here. "Let's go."

Short chapter. That means something crazy will happen next chapter >:)