The Howling Birthday

© 2016 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.

~

  Have you no idea that you're in deep?
I dreamt about you nearly every night this week
How many secrets can you keep?  

~

"If you don't like this dress, I'll be very disappointed. After all, Jazz and Draver went through the trouble of making a special order for it to be made." Molly called out from outside my closet.

Like it?

I didn't have words for it. It was insanely fancy- over the top for my 21st birthday. But that didn't seem to faze Molly. But God, was the dress beautiful. It reminded me of...

"Jazzie! Jazzie, look!"

Jazz gave me that same exasperated look every time I said called him Jazzie. "Faye, we have to leave soon, what is it?"

Draver scooped me into his arms as I pointed to the passing room where my favorite movie of all time was playing.

"It's An-Anastacha!"

Jazz crossed his arms and looked through the window at the movie where Anastasia was speaking to her Grandmother- the scene with the music box and necklace.

"Belloa," I spoke in Italian, pressing my small hand against the glass of the window.

Draver winced. "I'd give her face a 7. And that's being generous."

I sent him a glare. "The dress! Anastacha is pretty in the dress!"

Those idiots..they remembered something from such a long time ago- enough to create a replica of the glittering midnight dress that was worn on the long lost princess. The dress that I swore I would wear on my wedding day even though Molly insisted that I should wear white.

I waited until my blush subsided before coming outside to face Molly.

She grinned, her mardi gras beads biting into my open collar bone as she enveloped me in a hug. "Oh, my sweetums, you look gorgeous!"

I cleared my throat awkwardly, "Yeah, uh, thanks."

As she pulled away, I tugged on the mardi gras beads. "Can't you take these off for once, they don't even match your dress."

Molly settled her hands on her hips, covered in red fabric. Her chubby arms were sleeved down to the elbows. "This is my trademark look."

I rolled my eyes. "C'mon. Just this once? Or at least change the color of the beads! Baby blue doesn't go well with that shade of red."

She pouted. "Fine. Now come, Leila is already waiting outside for us."

I paused, "She's driving us? What about Danika, why can't we take my car-"

Molly narrowed her eyes as she pulled me out of the dorm. "That car will break down before we reach the venue. It's a hazard, I tell you!"

~

Beau wasn't joking.

Molly really went all out this time.

"Oh my God." I forced my jaw shut after I took in the huge venue decorated with billowing red ribbons and curtains... just like an opera house.

Everyone was already there (everyone being the few people I knew and the rest of the town) mingling to their hearts content. And the tables...they were named after Greek Gods, each having decorations that symbolized their respective god/goddess.