The Mated Royal

© 2016 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.

~

 Afraid to lose control
And caught up in this world
I've wasted time, I've wasted breath
I think I've thought myself to death

~

Draver's sleek Jaguar pulled up to the high rise loft. Sunshine glinted off the building as high noon hit.

"This is where Lorena lives. She fought with us in the war against Orion. Her daughter, Iris, was a good friend of ours before she passed away." Draver filled me in as we rode the elevator up to her floor.

"How old is she?"

Jazz grimaced. "Maybe not best to ask her that. She was born around Grecian times. So very old. But she doesn't look a day over 30."

"Hook me up with her skin care," I muttered under my breath.

The elevator doors parted and we were greeted by the sound of musical laughter. The sound settled in my ears, bringing me into a state of almost tranquility.

"What is that?" I murmured as Jazz and Draver led me out into the loft.

"That's Lux Xerxes," Jazz answered. "The daughter of the werewolf girl we were protecting. She's fourteen now- comes to spend summers with Lorena in New York. Her middle name is Iris, named after Lorena's daughter that died in the war. In a lot of ways, Lux is like Iris. She's smart, brave, a tad bit shy. She prefers to observe rather than speak, and when she does, it tends to be a sarcastic comment."

I was a bit hesitant to ask the next question. "Does she have powers? Like the two of you?"

"No, I don't. And they're not powers- they're affinities."

The melodic voice belonged to a small girl who walked out of the kitchen. Her blond locks cascaded down her back in thick waves- half of her hair was pulled up in a bun, with a few stray locks framing her face. Soot lashes with blond tips accentuated her almond shaped cerulean blue eyes. A faint splash of freckles dotted the bridge of her nose.

This girl outshone me, a grown woman, by a light-year. 

"Faye McAllister, right? Jasper and Draver told me all about you." she stuck out a hand, so tiny and frail, I was scared that I was going to break her.

Jasper. The only people I knew who was allowed to call Jazz by his given name was Draver and I- in fact, most people didn't even know his real name. 

I carefully shook her hand. "And you're Lux?"

She flashed me a grin that almost had me blinded. "That would be me. Lorena is cooking up some moussaka in the kitchen, and Ramon is grilling the souvlaki outside. We're eating by the pool. Mom and Stark should be back anytime."

Lux led us to the pool on the top of the building; a similar set up that was done by Jazz and Draver for breakfast. She catapulted into the pool. From beside me, I saw Jazz twitch, as if he was resisting the urge to swim as well.

A fiery red haired woman with a sleek figure deposited a slice of moussaka on a plate before I made it out the door, handing it to me. It looked like lasagna without all the color. 

"Lorena Morrisey." her smile was soft with a hint of sadness. "Pleasure to meet you once more, Faye. I'm not sure if you remember, but you used to come here often when you were little. My daughter Iris and I would offer your daycare to bring up the children to play in the pool."