The Shish-Kebab Locator

© 2017 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.  

~

  Round and round and I never know why
Round and round and it will show us way out  

~

As we ripped through the sky, I felt Rosemarie's hands tug at my wings.

"Own it!" she screamed, the shadow of her wings haunting me as they reflected across the gold palace walls. 

She was crazy- beheading made her lose her head; literally.

"LET GO OF ME!" 

"Not until you force me off. Take control of your wings" her nails dug into the sensitive membrane between my feathers and I lost my breath. "before they take control of you."

 I took painstakingly deep breaths, rolling my shoulders back. I couldn't see Rosemarie, she was on my back as we were free falling. I tried hard not think of the rapidly approaching ground. The sharp rocks, the rushing river, and pointed trees- river. River. River.

With a last attempt to pry her off, I forced my wing to fold inside. We plummeted faster, the gaining speed throwing her off balance. Her wings caught the updraft, ripping her away from me.

I snapped my wings out, hoping that they would behave. But they were locked shut by my side, still wounded from Rosemarie's sharp Valkyrie talons ripping into the base. The river was approaching quick, and if I didn't force my wings open then I would be free food for whatever lurked in Asgardian waters.

Below I saw Jasper and Draver, their wolves running to reach the river before me. But with the dive I was taking, they'd never reach in time.

But then I saw two ravens, their size overwhelmingly big. It was Huginn and Munnin, and from the angle they were climbing into, I knew that they were grabbing Rosemarie.

Shit. The water was close. 

Screw Rosemarie for putting me in this position.

I urged my wings to fan out- to catch the wind. Instead they vanished altogether, sinking into my back. I slammed into the water full force, and the bright glow that enveloped me had me thinking that I had finally reached the pearly gates- or Valhalla. 

I screamed in the water, my body was definitely broken and the water's current wasn't doing me any good. It was like a battering ram attacking me from every direction.

Jasper wouldn't jump in; too scared of the water. Draver would, but either way they couldn't- not when they were supposed to be hating me.

Slowly, I began to see why I was glowing. I was full out Valkyrie, right in the middle of the water. Which made no sense. Facts said that unless I summoned the Valkyrie side, it shouldn't show up- unless I'm in danger.

The water seemed to get darker, and I realized I'd sunk to the bottom. I could still breathe, but it wasn't normal breathing. The Valkyrie was taking in electrical charges from everything around us, fueling us to breathe. Looking down, the floor of the river was eerily beautiful, a gold and green littered river bed.

Wait...gold and green?

Suddenly the river bed shifted, as if the tectonic plates were moving. The green and gold had lifted up and several yards away from me was a head- a serpent head.

My cazzo came out as bubbles as the serpent slithered over, jaws snapping wide like an anaconda.

Armor materialized, and the javelin was in my hand, ready to go. Human Faye was shoved back and Valkyrie Faye took the reigns.