The Acheron River

© 2017 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.

The black cloud of mist that shrouded us dispersed the moment we touched ground. I struggled to regain my footing as I was pushed back behind Draver and Jazz. Orpheus, seeing that he was outnumbered without the help of his zombie like creature, scowled and disappeared in a flurry of black.

I took immediate notice of the area around us. Even though the sky was pitch black, I could still see the vibrant colors around me. To the west were red volcanic mountains glowed with overflowing lava in the distance. The ground seemed to be like the surface of Mars: dusty red and desolate. In the east, from a distance, I could see a glossy obsidian Gothic castle on the west horizon. Hades.

Jazz and Draver were still tense when they turned to me.

"Are you alright?" Jazz murmured softly.

I nodded rapidly, "I'm fine. And you?"

Jazz's jaw clenched. "I am-"

Draver scowled. "Hurt. That's what you are."

I lowered my gaze to Jazz's arm, where his shoulder had been grazed by what looked like claws.

"Orpheus did that?" I reached forward to comfort him, but he flinched back.

"Don't touch it. I have no idea what he was, and in case it's dangerous, I do not want to risk exposing you with it." he bit out.

"Why isn't it healing?"

Draver tore his fingers through his silky black hair. "We're in the Underworld. I'm guessing life doesn't blossom here, only death. Our healing factors won't work here."

My mouth ran dry. "How do we leave? And... get some clothes on."

Draver snapped at me: "Oh, and where do you expect us to get clothes in the middle of the damn Underworld?"

As if in response, the churning milky white river next to us seemed to rush rapidly.

Reaching into my jacket pocket, I pulled out the notebook that Athena had given me. With the pen clipped on the spiral spine, I scribbled into the first page.

Draver groaned. "Love, we need to figure out a way to leave- not start a diary."

"It's not a diary!" I muttered under my breath.

Where can I get clothes?

After a few seconds, a response appeared below.

You're in the Underworld, Faye. You can't just get clothes. Try asking again.

I rolled my eyes. Who knew Athena could be so sarcastic.

Can you give me clothes for Jazz and Draver?

After about a minute, a drawing of clothes appeared.

"What is that?" Jazz held out his hand for the notebook, but I held it away.

"Just hold on. I got this from Athena, she visited me when we were shopping at Walmart."

Draver scoffed incredulously. "Yet another lie. What else are you keeping from us?"

I narrowed my eyes. "If you want to accuse me of something, come right out and say it."

Jazz growled low, responding to my question for Draver. "Why did you not inform us that you were a Valkyrie, or that you received something from Athena?"

I stood my ground by disregarding his demeaning tone. Why would Athena just draw clothes in response? I thought of the owl, the one that came to life as it flew off the cover of the notebook. Reaching to the page, I pressed my fingers into the drawing. My hand dipped further in, and soft cotton grazed me. I curled my hand into a fist to grasp the shirt, pulling it out for the pages.