The Heartbreaking Torture

© 2017 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved. 

~

  I gave you everything 

but nothing was ever enough

You were always jealous over such crazy stuff  

~

Lunch with Odin was scary.

His glass eye followed my every movement once I entered the dining hall. I was the only one present besides Frigga. 

Oliver screeched loud, climbing up into the height of the hall before resting on one of the chandelier perches. 

"A gift from Athena?" he raised an eyebrow. 

 I did my best to make my voice sound clear and strong. "Yes. She took me away and gave me her gift, which is the owl. A lot of the Greek gods have been doing that lately. I thought you were aware."

Odin's grip on his knife and fork tightened and Frigga set a hand on her husband's tense arm. 

He paused, drawing in a breath. "Do they every mention why they present you with these...gifts?"

I bit my tongue, unsure if I should reveal what I now knew. It was obvious that Odin didn't want me to know about the death match he was putting me in. All the other gods seemed hesitant to tell me, mentioning something about being unable to interfere directly. It was why Athena couldn't answer certain questions if they meant helping me directly. 

"No." I lied through clenched teeth. "They never mention why they give me the presents."

Odin seemed less tense. "Sit. Eat. We have a lot to catch up on."

~

It was pressuring to be in Odin's presence longer than five seconds. Since recovering my memories, I quickly found that I couldn't stand his and Artemis' presence. Hell, even thinking of the Moon Goddess made me sick to my stomach. 

I released out a sigh once I returned to the cottage, the comforting cinnamon and vanilla bean scent comforting me. 

Jasper and Draver were in the kitchen once more, their eyes locked on a map that they were scanning. 

I started to talk, but nothing came out. 

I forgot. Couldn't speak to them.

They hardly even looked up when I walked in, neither of them sparing me a glance when I followed Oliver into the bedroom. 

I pulled out the notebook. Oliver ruffled his feathers, then returned to the cover of Athena's notebook. I shoved it back into my jacket, noticing how late it had gotten. Frigga demanded I stayed a while longer while she gave me a proper educational tour on her gardens that she and Rosemarie maintained. Frigga often reminded me of Molly, with her obsession over odd trinkets. 

As I was about to change, I heard the front door slam. My curiosity piqued, I exited our bedroom and opened the door. Draver and Jazz were out in the cobblestone streets, the lanterns on the sides of the various establishments lighting their path as they were about to walk. 

Remembering that I couldn't talk, I jogged forward to grab Jasper's arm. I gave him a confused look. Where are you going?

Draver crossed his arms. "There's a bar we want to hit up before the twins and Rosemarie come in two hours."