The Valkyrie Theory

© 2017 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.

"You're not human." Kendra stated bluntly. "You're Valkyrie. As in, the winged female handmaidens of the All-Father Odin that pick warriors who've died honorably in battle to join Odin's einherjar legion in Valhalla."

My mouth ran dry. "I'm sorry- but I don't buy that for one second. I cannot be a Valkyrie. I can't fight for shit and I think if I was ever a Valkyrie, then I would remember."

Katya cupped her chin in thought. "Well, what if you're not entirely Valkyrie?"

"Like half? Half human, half Valkyrie?" I supplied.

She nodded. "It's possible. Anything is, really."

Kendra crossed her arms over her chest. "But you're no mere human. I think you'd have to be someone with relations to the Greek and Roman mythology side. It's the only way that you'd be able to become Jazz and Draver's mate."

I frowned, contemplating the idea. "But I thought the Moon Goddess created me. I'm not born into Greek and Roman mythology-I was created."

"Yes!" Kendra shouted out,"EXACTLY! That's it, Faye- you were created into Greek and Roman mythology, but you were born in Norse mythology, as a Valkyrie. Your body- that's what Prometheus created. It's why you keep getting different bodies, but your soul is the same. It's the same Valkyrie soul."

This time Katya frowned. "But how did the Moon Goddess even get her hands on Faye's soul. And if her soul really is the same, then why doesn't she remember her past life as a Valkyrie?"

"Good point," Kendra mused. Her eyes flickered to my coat, and I felt her stare concentrated on my left pocket. A knowing smile flickered across her face. "I'm sure that Faye will find the answers in due time, won't you?"

The air was sucked out of me when I realized that she knew of the notebook- of Athena's gift to me- which was residing in my coat pocket.

I swallowed past the lump in my throat. "Hopefully. Is there anything else I need to know?"

She grinned once more. "Well, I have an inkling as to why the Moon Goddess chose you to be Jazz and Draver's mate. During death, mythologies often get mixed up. Sometimes Greek warriors will go into the Egyptian afterlife, or Roman to Norse. My theory is that you recruited Jazz and Draver to be einherjar in Valhalla."

I shook my head. "But that would mean that Jazz and Draver both died."

Kendra grimaced, tilting her head. "Not exactly. Valkyrie don't always appear after death. They show up just before the assumed death, to see whether or not the warriors are worthy to fight beside Odin during Ragnarok."

"And it doesn't help that Jazz and Draver have had many close calls." the Luna of Lycans expelled a breath. "Oh Faye, you have a lot on your plate."

Kendra agreed wholeheartedly. "You're a Valkyrie, you have to deal with two testosterone filled Lycans who want to get in your pants, the gods are taking bets on your death, and you're facing trials to prove yourself to Hades' right hand man Thanatos, and if you fail then the Fates will come after you."

"Whoa-what," I spluttered out. "Excuse me? Thanatos, the God of Death, and the Fates are coming after me?"

Kendra blinked. "Oh yeah. Forgot to mention that. Sorry. Too hyped about you being a Valkyrie."

"Why are they coming after me?" I squeaked. "What did I ever do?"

Katya popped a theory, "Probably because you've lived for so long. You're being reincarnated, but you haven't gotten the right to since you haven't been in Elysium. The Moon Goddess is just recycling your soul through bodies that Prometheus is most likely making. So technically- you've been cheating Death for centuries."