The Ole Allfather

© 2017 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.  

~

Seven devils all around you

Seven devils in my house

See they were there when I woke up this morning

I'll be dead before the day is done

~

"This is a load of cat shit." Draver growled when we were forced to stop.

A large mass of fur was blocking the path just near the Acheron River. The creature was enormous- like a small hill.

Jazz stayed in wolf form while Draver chose to shift, checking out the roadblock. I noticed Draver pop his back several times, which made me feel guilt for riding him instead of walking or running- or even being useful for stuff other than likely misinformed directions.

Jazz, his wolf the size of a goddamn van, plopped down on his stomach. He rested his head on his paws, letting out a ragged puff of breath. I sat down with him, stroking his soft ears. His arm was still wounded, and I wanted to help in any way possible- but unless we made it out of here, nothing was going to happen.

Draver nudged the mass of fur, and for some reason Jazz began to growl. Not the type that I heard before- this was a deep, rumbling sound that sent shivers down my spine.

Draver jerked back when the figure began to move- not one, not two, but three goddamn heads swiveled back to look at us.

I was about ready to call it a day and just toss myself into the pits of Tartarus at this point.

"Cerberus?" I snapped out, my anger at this whole situation blowing up while I was stuck in hell. "Seriously?"

The massive black dog served as the guardian to the entrances of the underworld- and apparently it decided to guard the exit as well.

Jazz's fangs locked onto my ankle, swinging me up onto his back as he dashed underneath the snapping jaws of one of Cerberus' heads.

Draver lit up light a torch, blazing a trail of fire that guided us away from him and Cerberus.

"Go!" he bellowed over the flames.

Cerberus let out a fierce roar, rising up on his hind legs before pounding down. The gust of wind blew out the flames, but with a quick gesture of his hands, the flames were back again, still standing strong.

We had looped around Cerberus, and made it to the Acheron. But Jazz abruptly stopped and dropped me down, then began to whimper and back away.

It was obvious he didn't want to go in the water, but I was determined to escape.