The First Trial

The first trial started in an hour. The past few hours were spent figuring out just how the fuck we were going to go through this trial without killing my childhood best friend.

"I can't believe this." I slammed my head against the door repeatedly to emphasize the words. "If I kill Beau..."

"Then Ragnarok will not be fulfilled." Anubis shrugged. "Problem solved. You and the Mother can resolve your skins of killing my charge."

I flinched at his tone. Clearly there was something more going on with Anubis and Lila that wasn't aired out. I had cost him that happiness. Cost her that happiness too. If we hadn't hunted them down, gone against Odin's orders, then maybe she would've been alive and safe. Anubis was right about Rosemarie being a beacon for Loki to track her-

I stopped slamming. Stopped breathing. 

"Rosemarie can be tracked. She's the Mother." I said, pacing back and forth. "The rules of the Trials that the moss nymph went over-"

"Daphne?" Jasper frowned.

"Yeah, that one, what's her deal anyways- wait a goddamn minute. Did you just say Daphne?"

Draver rolled his eyes. "Lover, what's going on?" 

"Daphne is a nymph that Apollo pursued until she turned into a laurel tree."

"Yeah?" the black haired Lycan urged for me to continue.

"She's Greek. And dead." They looked lost still. "Hello? Someone getting an Orpheus vibe?"

"Except Daphne has been nothing but polite." Jasper crossed his arms. "If she wanted to harm you, she would've already. Hades didn't send her to capture you."

A knock on the door revealed to be Daphne herself. Despite the Lycans belief that Daphne was innocent, they both still managed to serve as a border between me and Daphne.

"Uh, hi there. I just overhead your conversation while I came to tell you supper was over. Hades didn't send me, nor did any of the Furies. I'm a gift from a friend, to keep you company throughout the Trials. Oh, and I brought a platter tray of what food I could find so you wouldn't go to the Trials hungry."

She handed over the platter of small meats and cubed cheeses. I shouldered past the boys- noting the Jasper took a wide step away first- and took the tray from Daphne. When her eyes met mine, I saw a flicker of silver duochrome.

I smiled. "Tell him I said thank you."

She grinned widely back. "Yes, milady."

"Before you go, can you go over the rules of the Trials once more? I'm afraid Draver and I weren't paying attention when you explained on the way to our room."

"Of course," She cleared her throat. "Rule number one; you may not have outside help from any Sponsors or outside party members that are not Champions themselves unless approved by the Elder Gods. Rule number two; you may not enter with specialty powers that are not your own. Rule number three; Champions and Sponsors may not leave the Trials at anytime-"

"Yes!" Draver grinned. "That means if Loki is here, Kendra can meet Rosemarie to transport the other Valkyries to us. Rosemarie won't have to worry about her beacon like nature calling Loki to her as well."

Jasper gave a half-smile which dropped once he saw me staring. "I'll notify the Pack and Alpha Xerxes immediately."'

Anubis pulled Daphne aside. "An elaboration on rule two, if you will..."

Draver swooped me into his arms for a quick spin. "You're a genius, love."

I held back a smile.  As happy as I was being able to contribute after Lila's loss and now Beau's appearance, it still felt wrong to be happy in front of Jasper. It wasn't the same. And it wasn't right for me to drive a wedge between the two twins. If I stuck to being their lover, maybe this divide wouldn't have occurred.