The Prima Donna

© 2017 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.  

~

And I could hear the thunder and see the lightning crack

And all around the world was waking, I never could go back

'Cause all the walls of dreaming, they were torn right open

And finally it seemed that the spell was broken  

~

Thanatos pulled me deeper into the void, spinning and turning with our bodies clashing against each other as we spiraled into oblivion before time stopped- brief and momentarily- and the portal spat us out onto the river bank. Thanatos and I both rolled, a mess of tangled limbs.

He was the first to get up, brushing off the russet dust that clung to his black robes and armor. As I helped myself up, my wings snapped back into my body. Thanatos' wings, a glimmering obsidian, vanished into a black mist.

"Your wings are quite a hassle." he muttered, brushing off the excess dust on his shoulders.

I felt around in my pockets, checking that I still had all the items gifted to me. "Okay, let's get this started."

"I agree,"

My heart leapt into my throat at the unexpected voice. I turned around to see a feminine man with long silver hair and milky white irises, his pupil and whites of his eyes an eerie glossy black. The moment our gazes connected, my knees buckled and I collapsed against Thanatos.

He caught me around my waist, yanking me up to stabilize me.

"Hypnos, dial it down, will you?" he muttered as he patted my cheek several times.

I nestled further into his palm while my vision was fixated on the red earth beneath me that now looked very appealing as a bed.

Hypnos, god of sleep, flinched back before sighing in a melancholy tone. "I'm sorry. You know that I can't help it..." he stretched off in a yawn. "I'll do my best to 'dial it down' as you say."

The god then stood straight, his body radiating anything but intense urge to sleep. I snapped up like a tensed rubber band, more aware of my surroundings.

"Nice to meet you," Hypnos said quietly. "I'm sorry for that. Sometimes I can't help how I affect others."

I shook my head, waving a carefree gesture to him. "It's fine. To be honest, those short few seconds of almost sleep were what I needed."

Thanatos dipped his hand into the river while Hypnos gathered a handful of seeds from a tree near the edge.

I scribbled in my notebook for a bowl and peeled it off the pages, handing it to Thanatos, who poured the milky substance into the bowl, Hypnos topping it off with poppy seeds.

I eyed both of them warily. "I have a bad feeling I'm supposed to consume it, and I'd rather not since that would mean me being trapped in the Underworld."

Hypnos vehemently shook his head. "No, no, you're not eating it. You just need to hold it in your mouth. Do not consume it. Okay?"

I nodded, taking the bowl from Thanatos. It looked like a bunch of chia seeds in yogurt.

"What do I do after this?" I held up the bowl.

Thanatos crossed his arms. "We'll dunk you under. You're open your mouth, release the seeds, and then you'll gain your memories back. After that, we'll pull you out- assuming that you don't come out yourself."