Chapter 42

NAYEON'S POV

Engrossed in my academic work, I failed to realize that it was already past 7 o'clock. I promptly rose from my study desk and made my way to my bed, where my phone lay.

I make it a point to keep my phone at a distance when I'm engrossed in my studies. You know, it's all about self-discipline. If I don't discipline myself, I might find myself indulging in gossip and searching for juicy teas all night long.

Unlocking my phone, I immediately noticed the flood of messages from Jeongyeon on the screen.

Did I leave my phone untouched for a century for her to bombard me with so many messages?

"It seems like someone really misses me, huh?" I murmured, a confident grin spreading across my face as I effortlessly navigated through my phone.

Just as my finger hovered over the messaging app, a resounding knock on the door shattered the silence.

My brows furrowed in response to the escalating intensity of the knock, each thud echoing through the room.

I couldn't help but let out a scoff, my irritation seeping into my voice as I exclaimed, "What now?!" with a hint of exasperation.

Reluctantly, I swung open the door, my face contorted with a mix of frustration and weariness.

Placing my hands firmly on my hips, I aimed to convey my annoyance at being disturbed.

However, my grumpy facade quickly melted away as I was met with the sight of Ryujin and Chaeyoung, their faces etched with unmistakable anger. Instantly, my expression transformed from irritation to confusion, mirroring the perplexity that washed over me.

"Unnie, you need to leave right now!" Ryujin exclaimed in a hushed yet urgent tone.

Agreeing with Ryujin, Chaeyoung nodded vigorously, her face clearly displaying her frustration.

Confusion washed over me as I wondered what on earth could have happened that would prompt them to insist I leave the mansion.

Raising my right eyebrow, I shifted my stance and crossed my arms over my chest, ready to hear their explanation.

"Seriously, that jerk is here, cous! You absolutely have to get out of this mansion until he's gone! Go, go!" Chaeyoung exclaimed in a hushed yet urgent tone as well, her voice filled with concern and frustration, as she gently pushed me towards the door.

"We'll make sure to give you a call as soon as he leaves, Unnie. But for now, feel free to go wherever you want. We've already informed Mr. Choi to be your driver," Ryujin reassured me.

"Remember to use the backdoor," Chaeyoung whispered, her voice is mixed with secrecy and caution.

"Hold on a second!" I whispered, my voice tinged with disbelief and frustration, as I turned to face them.

"How on earth do you expect me to explain my sudden disappearance? They know I'm in my room," I questioned, my tone reflecting worry and skepticism.

"Don't worry, Unnie. We'll handle the excuses. You don't want to see him, right? So just leave the mansion for a few hours," Ryujin responded, her voice filled with protectiveness.

"Unnie, you don't want to bring up the arranged marriage with Mom and Dad until Grandpa decides to address it, right?" Ryujin asked matter-of-factly, getting straight to the point.

He's not even bothering to discuss his plans with me. I muttered mentally, rolling my eyes in exasperation.

I'm honestly unsure about how I should feel about all of this, but one thing is certain— I feel a strong sense of disrespect. Just because I happen to be his grandchild doesn't give him the authority to make decisions on my behalf without even consulting me.