Chapter Thirty Eight

I didn't mention dates because it's been the same date since Chapter 33, the morning after Taehyung's sister's engagement. So all these chapters; the kidnapping, Taehyung's parents' ruckus, the fights and now, the hospital scene all happen on the same day.

 So all these chapters; the kidnapping, Taehyung's parents' ruckus, the fights and now, the hospital scene all happen on the same day

21/06/2020

The sterile scent of the hospital room hung in the air as the soft hum of medical equipment provided a distant backdrop. Jeongguk lay still in the crisp white sheets, the beeping monitor the only audible sign of life. His face, adorned with fading bruises, bore the traces of the brutal encounter that had transpired.

As Taehyung entered the cubicle, Jeongguk's eyes were open and a nurse was injecting a fluid into his arm. Jeongguk's tired eyes shifted to Taehyung's upon his arrival.

"Jeongguk!" Taehyung's voice trembled with relief.

Jeongguk blinked, grogginess evident in his gaze. "Tae" His voice was hoarse, strained. His gaze shifted to Yeojoo and Minyee and a small smile stretched on his lips.

"How are you feeling?" Taehyung rushed to take Jeongguk's hand in his as the nurse walked out of the cubicle.

"I'm alright"

"Where does it hurt?"

"Here and there. Nothing that a little medicine and rest could fix" Jeongguk smiled, squeezing Taehyung's hand. "How are you? Did you get treated?"

"I did. I didn't have any bruises, though" Taehyung sighed. "At least, nothing a bandaid won't cover" His throat was on the brink of closing up as he spoke. His heart ached as he took in the bandages around several places on Jeongguk's body.

"Hey, stop worrying your pretty head" Jeongguk whispered. "Your scent is so sour that it's making me sad"

Taehyung couldn't help himself as he broke down sobbing once again.

"Tae!" Jeongguk exclaimed, sitting up on the bed. "Come here"

Taehyung sat on the hospital bed and Jeongguk carefully wrapped his free arm around him. "My baby" He whispered.

Taehyung placed his head against Jeongguk's shoulder. "H-How could you be s-so... selfless... Y-you-" Taehyung sobbed.

"My sweet pup" Jeongguk whispered. He lifted Taehyung's face with one hand, making him face the alpha. He drew closer to Taehyung, their faces only inches apart and Taehyung's eyes fluttered close, giving into the kiss, ready to feel liquid comfort from Jeongguk's touch.

However-

"Jeongguk we heard you woke- Oh"

Taehyung whipped his face to the side to see an embarrassed-looking Namjoon and Jin standing by the door of the cubicle, Namjoon holding the curtain wide open.

"You guys want hotdogs?" Jin asked with a grin.

"Let's all get out of here and give the lovebirds some privacy," Yeojoo said, ushering everyone out of the cubicle. Taehyung watched the curtain fall shut behind the crowd and they were finally left alone inside the small but confined space inside the emergency room.