A Cast of Characters

"What do I tell them?" Bowser nervously whispered to Kamek.

It was the day of the annual meeting with all of the Lords,  Ladies, Lieges, and ambassadors.  They usually only met once a year as a whole group and had frequent smaller visits and letter communications for the interim.  Bowser hoped they'd all make it but he knew that in some places it was more dangerous to leave than others. He didn't expect to see ambassadors of the Mushroom Kingdom. 

Most had arrived last night and stayed in the guest wing of the castle. Kamek had told Bowser that before the war and in the early days of the war these were formal occasions with fancy dress, big meals and great music.  Bowser had never hosted a formal but had been to a few in some of his allied or neutral territories.  Maybe one day, he'd be able to host one. 

He hadn't felt this kind of hope since he asked Peach for an end to the war.  His hope was squashed then but he didn't believe Luigi would do that.  He planned on floating the idea of them working together for a peaceful end to the war at their dinner tonight.  He didn't know if Luigi would agree but he trusted he wouldn't increase war efforts over the suggestion.

"Tell them you have Luigi but do not indicate it was an accident, sire." While Bowser was used to war strategy, he leaned on Kamek for these more social meetings.  Paperwork and speeches were easy in comparison to conversations with his peers. 

Bowser nodded as three hardy looking koopas with purple and pink spiked shells entered. 

"Ambassador, or should I say, Lady Ondine. Congratulations on the new title."

Lady Ondine smiled at Bowser from under her dark sunglasses as both her children bounded toward him.  Bowser let out a small "oof" as the younger one slammed into his plastron. 

"How are you enjoying your new status?"

"It is quite fitting.  I still fear retaliation from Princess Daisy, which is why I left Imani in charge with Rikalaha to keep her company." She smiled as her eldest returned to her side. " Ransono  is here to see Iggy and Morton. Hopefully, they make it."

"And what brings you here, Master Roy?" Bowser asked the young koopa as he picked him up under one arm.  Roy didn't respond, trying instead to sink his new fangs into the king's arm. Bowser laughed.

"I told him if he ate his pomegranates he's grow big and strong like you. He wanted to compare," his mother chuckled. 

Roy flexed and Bowser flexed back with his free arm. Roy's sunglasses could not hide his surprise. The young koopa suddenly grinned "Soon, old man. Soon." The vague threat was enough to have Bowser laughing all over again.

"We'll talk after the meeting, ok kiddo?"

Roy nodded and joined their sibling in the Koopaling Korner, a large temporary structure that was brought out for occasions with lots of koopalings like this one.  Kamek enchanted it to reduce noise so the koopalings could be as loud as they wanted without disrupting the adults.  Bowser was proud of it and he wished he could have had one as a young koopa. 

He wished he had a young koopa. 

Nope. He shook his head.  No baby fever. Not until the war was over.  Not until he found a mate.  These were all later problems. He turned around to greet the koopa entering the door. 

If looks could kill, Bowser would be resurrected.  Leige Ebb had arrived.  They were one of the few koopas he knew who regularly wore clothes and makeup.  They wore a translucent ice blue cape over their pink shell that matched their eyeshadow. He genuinely admired their style and confidence. They made everything they wore look good, and had even gone out in public without a shell. 

"Your Majesty, " As they waved, Bowser was briefly blinded by the light catching off at least four different pieces of jewelry. "My husband and darling Wendy send their regards.  Lord Rashaas heard rumour of rainbow scaled Cheepcheep and Wendy would rather hunt for new materials than attend a conference she's too young to understand."

Bowser nodded. "A wise decision on her part. I'm also curious about this rainbow Cheepcheep."

The next group Bowser could hear before they arrived, and judging by the hooting and hollering, they had all made it.  The ambassadors of the Kong Kingdom.  It was one of the territories that had stayed pretty neutral throughout the war. Ambassador Orneo and their family had easy passage in and out of the Kingdom.

It probably helped that Ambassador Onreo had been appointed young and ended up starting a family with one of the Kingdom's citizens.  Bowser didn't have much time to reflect as he was nearly taken off his feet by a pair of crazed koopalings.  In photos it was hard to tell they were half-ape but they had the energy and the hypnotizing blue eyes of their parent, Bolo. 

"Yo, King B, how is is going?" Orneo gave Bowser a fist bump as Bolo helped pry off Iggy and Intreeda by pointing out that they had friends already here.  The koopalings bounded away at full speed, Iggy not even slowing to adjust his glasses. 

"Sorry about that your Majesty," the ape smiled. "These kids are crazy."

Bowser smiled and shook his head. "It's not a problem. They're just excited.  Who's this?" He gestured to the new koopaling in Bolo's arms. 

"Oh! Right! Iac here was hatched shortly after our last meeting!" Orneo and Bolo beamed with pride.  Bowser felt a small pang of envy but ignored it as he congratulated them.  He was so distracted with the child he almost missed the entrance of the Vons.

The Vons were rulers of the Sky Region  They were one of the oldest established ruling families in the Koopa Kingdom. When Bowser was a child, he looked forward to their visits.  Those were some of the rare occasions when he was able to be a child.  After his father passed those days were over but he still remembered stealing fruit from the kitchens with Liarace and Lenli while their parents met.  The Vons were critical of Bowser taking the throne so young but had since come to support him. 

As they entered he noticed that Liarace was absent. Before he could even open his mouth Lenli responded. "She's looking after the Region. I'm quite jealous, frankly."

Maybe next year, he supposed. He greeted each of the Vons with a hug, as was custom.   Lord Noam commented that he looked happier than he had in years.  Bowser responded that he would be explaining why during the meeting.  Lord Dov, as always asked Bowser for his workout routine despite knowing that it was magic that made him so big.  Not that Bowser didn't workout everyday, he did.  It was that no other koopa could get to his size and bulk no matter how hard they worked. 

The youngest of Vons, Master Ludwig originally opted of a handshake but when he thought no one was looking, hugged Bowser. 

Bowser scanned the room.  The lords, ladies, and leiges in polite friendly conversation and the children, wrestling and playing.

He watched as Ludwig joined the rest, unsure of where to go.  It looked like he wanted to join the children but he followed his family to the adults.

Bower felt a pang in his chest.  He knew what that was like. Having to grow up before you're ready.  His gaze went back to the young koopalings.  He needed to end this war before they too would lose their childhoods too soon.