PART SIX: BEAUTY

January 5, 1998, Monday

In the blink of an eye, Christmas Eve and New Year have passed. We celebrated the year 1998 by turning the radio on. It broadcasted the countdown and I listened to it alone. I know how to count, but something's missing here. Afterward, the night became the same. No nothing, no feast, just the same. I called everyone's dial to see them being pre-occupied with their families whom I assumed were having a good time.

Going back to school, there was a new rumor. There are talks about a pageant show at the level of junior high. The five of us are always up-to-date on the events that will occur. The validated sources are to clutch and rinse with chit-chats. These sources that we receive come from other people—the other observant sections.

Harry and I finished History when the whole thing was spreading. Harry stopped walking and his pupils constricted. "They're they are," he said. They stood outside the hallway as they waited for us. We started greeting each other with the quote "Happy New Year."

It was a break time. Everything was casual—the foods, drinks, and cheers to the mouth and ears that we keep to our own. We rode our way to the stone tables.

Cookie crumbs are spotted on the ground. Vanilla frosting is visible on the face. Shredded cheese that's moistened on the lips. Chocolate is stuck in front of the teeth when speaking. And a slurpy drink in action that creates a long-lasting burp afterward.

As Wayne finished his drink, he started the conversation, "I heard Tina in Bio class that she will be joining a pageant show. And I was like, what pageant show? She said that the school will be showcasing one and that it will take place in the next few weeks."

A bite of the chocolate chip cookie was all Harry needed. "Ain't that your thing?" He firmly looked at Fiona and said, "A pageant with partners, and that partner will turn into a prince—your knight in shining armor."

Jade irritatingly glanced at him. "No thanks," she responded, rolling her eyes. "Pretty sure they'll pick talent instead of beauty."

"How about you?" I said to Jade as she finished her vanilla cupcake that left a fragrance in the room. "There are two girls in our advisory class. The other one here opposed that idea."

She clears her throat and says, "I'll gladly do it."

More cookie crumbs all over the table. "Jade, I didn't know you had it in you. But if we fix your hair, you are exceptionally the winner," Harry with an unbelievable tone. Fiona fixed Jade's hair and makeup and walked amidst the crowd to our final period.

Mr. Watts occupied the classroom and announced, "I believe all of you must have heard. All sections will need to assign a representative for the annual Mr. and Ms. East High. I will list down two candidates for our class." With a click of a pen and scratch of paper, he asks "Who may that be?" We cheered Jade into getting her on the list as she raised her hand.

He checked the class and saw two hands raising. "President of the class," he said in a surprised tone. "Jade Monroe, and what's your name at the back." We all turned our heads around and saw another one raising his hand. He was wearing a khaki hoodie, and he had blonde hair.

"Chase, sir. Chase Keith." We all teased Jade into making them lovers, and she quickly declined us. Suddenly, Chase came to us and greeted Jade with a handshake, "Nice meeting you, Jade. See you at practice." Jade blushed as she met his eye, and it was over for her.

As soon as classes ended, we headed out joyfully.

"What was that? Girl, how was his grip? Was it firm? Majestic? Glamorous?" Fiona said, holding Jade's hand. "Soft? Smooth? Firm?"

"It was a handshake. Don't get your hopes up, Fiona," she replied, looking down and smiling as the wind flew past her hair on the road. A notification popped up in her cell, a message.

"Could it be...?" I said.
We all checked the message, and it was Chase. "Well, read the message," Wayne said.

Harry took her cell and said, "The text says, "If you don't mind, Mr. Watts handed me your cell number. The start of the practice tomorrow is at 4 pm after the class. I know the location, so it's best to arrive together."

"Wow, Jade."