PART EIGHT: INSPIRE

Jade and Chase are the ones to look out for tonight. As they were the last ones to handle the heat and the time has come. Calling them onstage as if they were handing out diplomas. "And your question is, "If you were to choose either win or lose tonight, what would you pick?" The host handed the mic to Jade, she paused for a moment as if it were intentional. "First of all, winning is a good thing but it isn't about everything. We may have come this far and if we lose, we have the opportunity to present our talents to everyone," she hands over the mic to Chase. "Win or not. What matters is that we took a chance to battle stage fright," students began to applaud their hands. "Losing doesn't make us a loser because we showed everyone, especially our fellow students that we are capable of it. Jade," the mic was passed over to her as she would finish the day. "We showed that we could become an inspiration for the students who would be our upcoming candidates for the next contest. As we leave tonight, we will remind our hearts of that and I, thank you." Losing isn't about everything when you have love in the air.

Remembering their performance earlier, they have come this far and they still have it. Perfection as they seem, when gowns were shining red and white pairing them up like roses of the lover's day. They had a memorable duo performance, dancing over music that I was not familiar with. If I were, I must say that the song was well-picked. Their moves were smooth and went well with the song as it talks about fighting for freedom and choosing peace for what it must be. Closing the dance Chase grabs onto Jade's hands and does the couple movements where you spin your partner around. And put your hands over their waist and such position.

Lights turned on. It's the announcement of the winners. Our eyes were focused on our candidates as they stepped out of the enormous curtain that was blocking everything on the stage. Chase looked as if he were out of the sky, taking a glimpse of what the night awaits for the both of them. At his side, Jade widens her gaze as the night is about to end, fulfilling her heart to win for us even if she's committed not to. Both of them looked curious like a stone that was left alone in the field. Not a stone that was being crushed, but a forgotten stone. Depicting more of a hard night for both of them.

The judges headed up to the stage and three of them collided with the microphone. Holding a card of what seems to be the winners that they have computed and graded for. For the walks that they showcased, advocacy that they offered, talents that were upheld, outfits that took a lot of effort to choose, and questions that were answered with a focused and brief mindset. The sash of the winners was revealed and flowers that create a bouquet were shown to the audience. No tiara, but beauty is utterly enough.

Our principal decided to announce the winners of this year's Mr. and Ms. East High who not only showcased but also overcame a lot of skills. I wonder how the rehearsals went—was it like this? Where they told everyone their outfits, focusing on their walks, and helping each other out. As rivals, we must avail ourselves not for others but in a friendly competition, people help out other people not because of pity but because it's an honor to help someone out. That's what all of us witnessed when one of the contestants couldn't provide an answer for the question and answer portion. Jade and Chase offered comfort for both of them as they were also in the spotlight and could cause harm to their criteria.

The 2nd runner-up was announced which leaves the winner open for Jade and Chase. They took their sash and bouquet. It left a smell in the room for a while but Jade left a sigh.

Drum rolls and our principal started teasing the crowd. "I will announce the winner meaning the names that I will not mention are the first-runner up," all of us were excited and nervous. Our principal started to cheer, "Our Ms. and Mr. East High is none other than Jade Monroe and Chase Keith." The lights went to them as they accepted their sash and bouquet. The three of us cheered and yelled for both of them as they went in front of the stage.

Fiona ran as fast as she could, "Mind if I borrow this red gown?" Jade laughed and was shocked during the hour. "This isn't for sale. Not anymore," she replied.

"You looked great out there alongside Jade. No wonder, you make a great couple," Wayne said to Chase. "Chase girls or Chase Keith?"

"Chase Keith," I quickly answered. "That was the highlight for me. You caught our attention with a catchphrase."

"I agree, that was a great introduction. Nice of you to help Jade out," Harry smelled the flowers. "These are chrysanthemums—they smell authentic. Authentic as it symbolizes happiness."

Chase agreed with Harry as he talked about the flowers that left him surprised. "I know right? Anyway, it's nice meeting all of you. This night wouldn't work out if Jade wasn't there," he glanced back at Jade. "Thank you for trusting me throughout the competition, Ms. East High."

Fiona kept screaming, "This night is for you, Jade. Don't let it fade your tiny mind."

As she shook Jade's shoulders, Jade nonstop smiled with her teeth out. "You're welcome anytime, Mr. East High," she faced him with eye contact and left a rose on his collar. "Hope to see you around these halls. After all, we are the face of these lockers."

I fear tears scratching down her face, "I have never won anything this past decade," Jade humbly said to the group.

"You did win the judge's hearts, as my co-candidate. One more, then you'll win the hearts of the campus including mine," Chase said, leaving the scene and greeting his other group of friends.

After he left, all of us were holding almost against our knees and bracing ourselves. I asked, "What was that? Are you certain that you're not a thing?"

"No, we are not," she said in a nonchalant tone as she lowered her head.

"Promoting self-awareness and preventing cyberbullying, are we?" Wayne asked.

The night ended, and it was late at night. After the last incident, I never forgot to ask permission from my parents. No time, then, no limit.

I went home straight to the door of my room—haggard and sleepy, I lay in my bed.