PART SEVEN: CONTEST

January 18, 1998, Sunday

After days of being in rehearsals, the time stood. Our candidates are ready for what the world has to offer. Not only do they look lovely, but they are also confident in the rising sun. All of us were curious about what was going on behind the rehearsals, and then, Chase. Jade goes on to talk about how amazing all the candidates were, but Chase kept her spirit and passion up.

The event is held in the auditorium. I reckon that it's cold there as we clenched our fists in the aura that's not ours. We headed inside and the host started calling all of the candidates for the preliminary round. "Mr. Keith and Ms. Monroe," the host warmly greeted them at their entrance walk. Jade who was wearing a white dress and her hair down walked her way to the judges. Careful, but gracious of the surroundings of her dress. Eyes felt contact with the audience, but perspective towards us—her lucky five. "I am Jade Monroe, and my motto in life is "Time will slip away in our arms if we're cautious about life," and I, thank you." Her astonishing aura left the room and there was Chase, who made eye contact with Jade and left a grin on his face. I wonder what is going on with their minds, now that their moment is shining.

On the stage, Chase walked his arms with uptight gestures and tried to smoothen his movements as he reached for the mic. Staring at the audience before stating, "Ladies. Gentlemen. Don't chase people, Chase Keith." He had all of us engaged in his introduction and applauded more. "I am Chase Keith, I am here with Jade as we represent our advocacy of preventing cyberbullying and promoting self-awareness striving for equality on this beloved campus. My motto in life is "To handle every act with care as I vigorously grow up in this world," and I, thank you." Jade, who was watching all of this, walked out with Chase who was wearing a white tuxedo and a black tie. This night was deserving of them as they prepared for the next round.

It's the announcement of the top five after several parts of the contest were showcased. I visualize the stage as if it were panning the lights on the two of them. Not only did it feel like love in the air, but also majestical to feel that I was in an actual pageant show. Their minds must have shattered when they were announced as part of the top five, what a shrieking feeling that must be. If I were in their bright minds, I would have done the best that I could—losing the humbleness not only for the judges but the contestants. Jade's expression was in audible awe as she was grasping her hands on the shoulders of Chase; wide, and broad. They must've been outlining for the final sequence of all this proportion. To me, this looks more like limerence found its way to the stage.

Lights pitch-black. Lights started to pan at somebody. "Again for the last time, please welcome Mr. Keith and Ms. Monroe." I never heard screams loud like this one before—more mischievous to see the both of them walking towards the mic. Question and Answer: the availed promise of all contestants, as it prevails coordination throughout the contest. Jade walked out in a red gown; her neckline had an accessory gold necklace and her walk became more precise as she wore heels. It looked like a flower: roses. Beside her is Chase, who's wearing a red-blazing tuxedo that has a black-buttoned polo shirt and black bow.

A speech—an impromptu speech that could cast out an effort for both of the diligence they showed. They stood with no fiddling movements and built rapport with the judges as they were asked the question, "How will you apply your advocacy on the campus?" Chase answered first after clearing his throat. "I would surround the hallway and encourage everyone that confidence is a key as I was once not brave enough. But as I stand here, all of those become transparent." Interconnecting, Jade finished his sentence with a gaze at the crowd. "In addition, we would like to set an example for the students who rather struggle with their studies and help them choose reality as the key to life. Without the key, we wouldn't be approved to be here tonight." Can you believe that both of them got into the top three with those spot-on answers?

Before the top three inquiries came, all of the honoring top three had their last runway. As they walk in their outfits, I can imagine Britney Spears blasting in my ears. Noises were louder, louder than I could ever bear. I blanked out and forgot about them. Ears were flushed out as everyone screamed.