PART THIRTY-FIVE: I-FAIL

December 30, 2007, Sunday

I didn't know what to do. Harry is hyperventilating—I wanted to scream out loud but decided to stay with him. As I colored everything, I came to my senses to check the groceries. Why, on a Saturday night, does this have to happen? I dialed the hospital where Jade works, hoping she'll answer me.

"Jade, hurry. Bring an ambulance to our house. Please," I tried checking everything.

"Charlie? What happened?" She freaks out, "I'll notify them."

"Don't ask. Just bring them here right now," I started to cry and hang up.

Harry and I were left alone at the house. New Year's is coming—meaning more groceries and bundled foods to enjoy. Stepping outside the house for a vibrant atmosphere, it was snowing. Going through the grocery store without a list is magic. I'd lay eyes on products we'd need, eventually Harry and I wouldn't have its purpose throughout the day.

"You go grab whatever you see, and I'll do the same."

Harry put his hands in a salute manner, "Got it, sir."

"Really, in front of the store, I'd look like a soldier."

"That is a compliment though."

After hours in the store, the two of us maxed out our cards and got ready for New Year's.

I saw a pastry shop before we left, "Wait, I want to buy myself this cake."

"Go ahead, take your time. It's still 5 pm," he said.

"Really? That explains why the road is flooded with snow."

Bought the slice of cake and said, "Let's walk."

"Are you kidding, Rode? That's a huge stretch of what you're saying."

"Then, are you gonna pay the fare for a cab?"

"If you say so, I would."

"Thanks, I'll hail one right now," I smiled and raised my hand as we saw one nearby.

At the doorstep, I'm starting to get worn out by the boxes I'm carrying.

Harry said, running faster than me, "That's payback for making me pay. Sorry, but I'd run out of hands to carry that."

"Can you at least grab the pastry I bought? I can do this."

"You got it," he dropped his groceries as I heard the cab almost leaving the scene. "Sir," he yelled loudly. "W-wait for me. Sir." He ran as fast as he could, leaving me in laughter, "Thank goodness the cab stopped, I wouldn't have found your laugh again."

"So you're spying on me," I said on the staircase.

"Now, come on. Hand me one of those boxes."

"I think I'm good. How about prepping the cabinet? You'd look like you need work."

I stepped inside the pantry, "Golding, I'm done."

And that's the moment I started panicking. After calling Jade, I left and went straight to his room for his EpiPen. I finally bawled, "Please don't die on me, Harry. I'm sorry, I should've made you carry the boxes. I'll inject the EpiPen on you."

At that exact moment, the ambulance came. Harry was struggling to find a way to breathe. They took him out and Jade contacted the others.

Jade said, "Can you tell me what happened?"

"I don't know, I don't know. I was carrying the groceries and I stepped inside," as I stepped inside, I spotted the bought pastry. "I stepped inside and saw him choking," my voice descends with realization. The others looked confused but I looked into acceptance.

Fiona looked, "What's that?"

"I think it's obvious that it's cake," Wayne answered.

Fiona glared at him, "I'm not dumb but what is that?"

Jade asked, "Rode, does this happen to have almonds?"

"I don't know when I bought it. It said vanilla cake. How is it possible?"

I lifted a layer of the cake to see almonds in the cream and Fiona said, "Goddamn, that could've cost his life right there."

Wayne said, hitting her, "This is not the right moment. You're making him guilty."

Jade asked, "Are we making you feel guilty?"

"No, I should've looked more into what I'm buying. I didn't know that there would be almonds in the cake."

Jade suddenly got a notice from one of the doctors, "He's awake."

"Is he? Wait, let me go first."

I saw him, still breathing in the oxygen mask, "I should've checked. I don't know what to do if I didn't see you at that moment."

He removed the mask, "Rode, to let you know, I wouldn't die on you."

I hugged him tightly as everyone else approached us.