PART THIRTY-ONE: NEVER-2-LATE

Tonight was like a beauty pageant. The winner is the one who's been struck the most by the spotlight. It seems that Jade is the one.

Jade, who's been struck by what she's seeing, "It's been a long time since we've last met. Was it at Mr. and Ms East High?"

"Yes, we won that night. Didn't we?"

"You're right. Nice to see you again, Chase."

It was Chase Keith, he is the brother of Tony Fernandez. "How is that possible? The two of you don't have the same last names," Jade was left in a blank.

Wayne excused himself from that statement and said, "Probably because they are stepbrothers. Aren't you?" He asked before handshaking his hands, "Nice meeting you, Mr. East High."

Tony looked bewildered from the gathering, "Was he a friend of yours? Or something else that I don't know?"

"Technically, he was our classmate and Jade's partner for a pageant. They were hailed winners, you know. No one skips beauty like the both of them," I said, making Tony laugh.

"Well, that's great. Knowing that all of us have a connection," he said to the group.

Harry becomes more exhilarated, "Let's get this party started, shall we?"

"Go party with Chase. Catch up with him," Fiona leaned at Jade with a glimmering look. "I'm telling you, this is where destiny meets fate."

"Let's not take things up a notch," she replied

"Today must be a big day for the both of you. Don't forget that because one time, I spilled the beans on my homies when my sister went home stoned and drunk. One moment that I would probably never forget. So does yours," after having a shot of wine. "Speaking of that, we should party and have fun. I mean, your birthday is here," I said to Fiona and Jade, speeding up every word as if I were ready to get drunk.

"Have some more beer, Rode. Be ready for more," Fiona dropped more liquid in my cup.

"Thanks, your gifts are upstairs. One addition to that," I bring out an envelope. "Here is another gift of mine—personally."

She opens the envelope and takes a turn looking at Harry to hug me, "Rode, you didn't have to. I can't possibly thank you, even though I have the money for rent. I just want Golding here, to pay for it. But he's too stupid to understand me."

"I will. I need my monthly salary first," he added. "I don't matter if it's for the rent, what I matter the most is to provide for a friend."

"You should invite her," Tony said, overhearing them. "A friend isn't only a friend that you're providing. It could be the love of your life—I see you," he happens to wink at him.

Fiona assumed he was broke but changed her mind, "Seriously, can I meet her? Haven't got a thought to pick up ever since then."

"Really? You're sure you're not gonna scare her off."

Tony took a lean forward at me and whispered, "Rode, that's the quiet signal I'm receiving."

I had bright eyes and smiled, "Hey, that's what everyone calls me. How did you know?"

"I do have great listening skills and can tell whether you have been called Rode or Charlie around here."

"Figures," I pat his shoulder. "Take care of her, will you?"

Jade grabs their attention as she's holding Chase's hand, "That explains this whole situation. Now, can we start partying?" I vaguely remember her time in love and this is it, "I'd hate to kill the mood, but we have a karaoke machine here."

Chase said, "Who wants to start?" Everyone isn't looking eager to come up, "Are we seriously doing this?"

"Show them, brother," Tony exclaimed, and everyone was on their knees.

"If you hope so," he said.

Chase stepped up as we cheered for him, and I could see Jade on her way to the blush-on store. No matter how far she is from my sight, I can see the boundary of her smile. It's widening. Chase started typing random numbers so that I wouldn't know the song. When it all came together, I knew the sound.

"Life on Mars? That song is my jam," Wayne exclaimed.

"Not now, Parker. It's for Jade," I said, as I cool him down with a slice of cake.

The song ended with him imitating the guitar in the outro which shows how good of a singer he is. Jade asked Chase, "Your voice sounds incredible. Why didn't you sing with me?"

"Well, the past is the past," he said.

"Get a room," Wayne loudly said to them.

They eventually got a room, God knows what's happening in there but dare I not, enter that room. After that sweet melodic singing of Chase, not only did he perfect the emotions but also the exact way David Bowie sang it. What a great impersonator we have.

"Don't chase people," I said as they walked towards me.

"Chase Keith," Jade quickly answered, grabbing his waist tighter.

He added, "I can't believe you still remember that. Wasn't it cheeky?"

"It wasn't," I said, reassuring him. "It did make you win though."

I tried following them as the others partied hard. They headed to Jade's room, it's not something I'm visualizing. I might as well be there to stop them.

I faintly hear them having a conversation after hearing their lips smack. "I remember the time we won the Mr. and Ms. East High," Jade said. "I remember you asking me out too."

"Yeah, I did. Too bad, you declined," he answered.

"You could ask me out now, after all, we're making out."

I hear laughs. "Are you sure you're not young anymore to be free? Those were the exact words you said, right?"

"That's right. Well, I'm sure now."

"I highly doubt you there," Chase said, as I heard Jade hitting him in the shoulder. "That hurts. Okay-okay, I'll ask you out again."

I feel like I'm interrupting their special day. It was a misconception for them back then, and no one noticed. That's how love is scary but it'll pull the person they love back. Coincidence is a trusted pronoun to never expose its location. Today, I see it now.

Of course, the next fucking day, we have a lot of goddamn mess to clean. Vomit beers, trashed peers, lovely tears, and a cake for years.