PART TWENTY-EIGHT: SWEET

November 4, 2007, Sunday

Four days have passed since the house has been spotless. I had a dream of waking up to an argument near these interior walls where they exhaust themselves to puncture every designated point, but it's been a while and the damage around here has lessened.

I heard a commotion coming from downstairs, and I hurried to the living room to see everyone bonding over Fiona's doughnuts stored in an East Coffee container. She noticed me with her blue eyes and crystal-clear smile and invited me to join them. "Rode, you're fully awake. Charlie, take a bite first before everyone," she said. Everyone exclaimed, and their vigorous eyes were locked on a specific flavor that was being displayed. I got a sense that one of the flavors was mocha as I was approaching the dining table. And I was right, never have I ever doubted my senses. They waited for me to grab a doughnut before everyone could choose. Looking at the variety of options, I tossed my hand out for the strawberry-mocha-flavored doughnut. "You just enjoy that donut, don't you," Fiona said. I repeatedly nod, making her laugh which reminded me of our old days when I first tasted the doughnuts.

"It's been a while since you handed us doughnuts like this," Wayne told Fiona with a lemon cream filling in his mouth. "Didn't you use to prepare a batch for us back then?"

"I did, didn't I?" Fiona agreed, smirking at my side.

"I see you smirking, what's the tea?" I asked Fiona.

"I may have taunted and met someone," she replied

"It's about time for you, Fiona. Now, tell me who it is?" Jade said on the other side, dropping flour over her clothes. "Wait, don't tell me. On second thought, show me this man." Before she took a bite of her doughnut, Jade started grabbing everyone's arm and went on a rampage. "I haven't met him, but he is the one. He truly is."

"Hey, I got flour all over my pants," Wayne said, constantly wiping the powder off his shorts as he munched on his doughnut.

"You're like that with everyone," Harry said to her.

Wayne looked at the picture and smirkingly said, "Just let her be. You can only react once." Passing the phone for everyone to peek at and gladly celebrate over doughnuts. "I'm still waiting on you, Rode."

"Really? It's time to move on. Who knows I'll die as an old man."

Suddenly, Fiona's phone rang. The name was Tony Fernandez, and that was already tattooed over everyone's brain. She went ahead to the balcony to answer.

"Reminds me that Fiona's birthday will be two days away," I reminded them.

"We should surprise her," Harry added. "We saw the name on the contact—meaning we should secretly involve Mr. Tony Fernandez."

"That serves us right. But how are we going to do that?" Jade asked everyone. Approaching was Fiona, and Jade with her gossipy personality asked, "So, what was that?"

"What was what?" Fiona answered and immediately burst into a smile with her cheekbones out. "Okay, okay. I need to get going." At her side was Wayne with his actions, he unsuspiciously stole Fiona's phone and everyone disrupted her movements. He began writing down the digits of Tony's number, keeping steady. "Why is everyone on my way?"

"We just wanted to say the best of luck to you and your date," Jade replied.

"Glad to hear that, Jade," she said.

"Let me fix your hairdo," I said, all of us counting and looking at Wayne as he sneakily inserted the phone back into Fiona's white bag. "There. You're good to go."

"Thanks for this Charlie," Fiona said, finishing her vanilla-flavored doughnut that tilted baking powder in her hands. Harry handed her a wet tissue to clean every inch of her fingers.

"Get that man with your whole heart. Not bigger than the ocean though," Harry said, his humorous ego making her laugh while taking a bite of his chocolate doughnut.

As soon as Fiona left the door, we initiated a plan for her 24th birthday. Harry was the first one to initiate a plan. He suggested that we ignore her for the whole day and then surprise her, but that didn't match what Wayne had in his mind. He insisted on going to a buffet, but the venue cost was not worth it. What I had in my mind was a simple gathering at an amusement park filled with rides. But Jade opposed that idea, considering she has acrophobia.

What's left underneath our minds is Jade. She planned to decorate the entire floor and fill the gathering table with guests, doughnuts, and her favorite foods.

"Never forget the drinks. I got vodka," Wayne suggested.

All of us denied and I added, "Too strong, we need to weigh our options and our guy, Tony." We were at it for hours, and each of us had tasks. I vaguely remember what the others were supposed to do—although, I am in charge of the contact, i.e., Tony, Fiona's parents, and her favorite people that we are close with.

Once Fiona came home, all of us acted normal and played a series of games such as truth or dare, and would you rather. She doesn't know that it's a trick to spill her favors and interests.