JULIE

July 9, 1990, Tuesday

Julie fit in with many children. Who knew my friends would prefer to be with her than me? They'd insisted on coming by our house to be with Julie. A stereotype amongst the elders, especially my father. It's our first day at school. Her short skirt, hair down, and uniform too white for his eyes damaged a long explanation of his complaints.

I was a kid but a kid is never trusted for his ears. She would run to her room and release lots of her vengeance against the pillows. Poor feathers and poor tailor. No one ever affirms her but me. I knocked three times and I went inside.

She's hiding in the covers and drying up those tears as I ask, "Are you okay?"

"Yes, Charlie. I am."

"You don't look okay," I approached her.

"Don't come close," she shouted. "Just don't."

"If I were you, I could've told myself to go away. It's easier than saying "don't."

"What do you know?"

"I know that the stars aren't pentagons. I know you're crying because Father said your outfit was too revealing."

"I came to school like this and no one even bothered me. How come he has to say things like whore to me? I'm sure you don't know what that means."

"I actually don't"

"That's because you're too young to understand things."

***

July 19, 1994, Tuesday

Years passed, and Julie grew up to be a teenager. Her outfit became a long skirt, hair-tied, and dark blue uniform. Father didn't seem to care anymore. Breakfast on the table for me and her, she skips it as Father shoots a look at her taking a route to school.

"We need to teach that young girl manners," Father said to Mother. "Not saying good morning, and eating breakfast."

"But that's what Charlie doesn't do," she added.

"What," he exclaimed.

"Although, he's not young enough to understand us."

I endured their conversation at the table and went to school. We go our separate ways since we have different schedules. Walking to the hallway isn't new to me, I have my friends tossing the books in the lockers.

"Hey, Rode," I heard.

"That's a new nickname that I just heard, Harry."

"It's great," he said. "I saw your sister, by the way."

"Julie? What did she look like?"

"Pretty," he's mesmerized.

"Okay, here we go again."

"But she's talking with a boy."

"Probably her friend."

"Yeah. Where are the others?"

I asked, "I have no clue, do you?"

"I just asked then you asked me," we both laughed with a point-blanked stare.

"There they are," I pointed at the classroom. "They went in first."

I'd come home in the afternoon and finish my assignment. It's nighttime, I haven't finished a simple math problem. I don't know what's the answer to three-hundred-twelve divided by four. Is it even possible? I might be dumb but that's the point of having an older sister.

My parents are in the kitchen doing what; I don't know cooking or eating.

Mother asked, "Where are you going?"

"I think it's obvious," Father said.

I forgot to knock three times and went inside the room. I was shocked and couldn't move from what had dawned on me—two bodies in one bed with the blanket covering both of their frontal bodies. I can't move. My sister saw me and she hurriedly ran to close the door. But it was too late. My parents saw me not moving and smiled until they reached her room. Their faces turned gray.

She covered her body but not the boy. My father said, "What the—"

My mother covered my eyes and ears. Carrying me and locking me in their room. I kept crying because of how dark the room was. I couldn't reach the light switch and sat down at the door. I fall asleep for how long I'm waiting but I can hear loud yells.

The next morning, I woke up in my bed. They must have carried me there. I walked outside, dressed up for school while my father was reading the newspaper and my mother hiding in the kitchen. I called my sister but there was no response.

I went into her room and it was spotless. No things, no bed, no posters, and no clothes. I asked my parents what happened and they answered that they had taken care of some things. I began looking for Julie in school that day but I couldn't.