PART SIXTEEN: RELIEF

February 2, 1998, Monday

After being homesick for the whole week, I went back to school. As someone who made an appearance in the middle of the gymnasium, my face is seemingly in everyone's mind. "Charlie, love your poem. Thoughts about mine," a fellow student asked me. "It's lovely and straightforward. The structure is as it is, nothing's wrong," I answered. "Thank you for this, but where have you been the past week?" Suddenly, many students walked the hallway and began to ask me my whereabouts from the past week. They eventually found out I was heating the past few days.

"Rode, feeling well? Let's get you out of this pit, shall we?" Wayne grabbed my hand and ran to the classroom. "He's back," he exclaimed.

"Finally, you're sick for being sick," Fiona said. "Anyways, my parents are gone for the day. We shall go to the mall."

"Charlie, you in?" Jade asked me. "How long were you sick for?"

I stuttered, "Four days. I'm in, let's go after classes."

"That's what we're talking about. Cool, we'll carry you if that's what you want," Harry added to the group.

"That's not necessary, but thanks for the offer. I can't believe that I missed almost half a week of school."

"What matters is that you've done your part. Reading poems must be your highlight since people have been asking for your opinions on their poems. Haven't they?" Jade said.

The bell dismissed us, so we headed outside. "Rode, come. Should we take the bus or walk?" Harry asked me. "Buses make me sick and walking makes me tired. But it's the only way to get to the mall."

"How far is the mall, Fiona?"

She looked at the street signs, "Around two to three streets over east. Best if we walk."

"I agree. I need an exercise, my body is killing me," Jade going on the same terms.

Harry left a sigh, "Right. Let's go ahead, shall we?"

I'd walk meters with them, not to fulfill exercise or anything but because of memories. Walking is a memory, no one knows. Neither did my father, that's why he never knew I was homesick. Probably because he always comes to his room after his work—being a police officer. Patrol here, patrol there. He never found out—never left, never visited, never took us out at all. It's a daydream day to make this day a waste. We saw various shops, trees, benches, and birds.

Wayne starts to become exhausted, "How far are we, Fiona? You sure this is the right way, after all, people make mis—oh, there it is. My bad," he didn't finish the sentence as we've seen the glimpse of the mall. It was less expensive but tiring for the cost of money.

Finally, something to sit in. All of us ordered a fruit shake as we were tired. Refreshing to the tongue and a relief to end the tiring mess. The night was long and it extended our time.