PART THIRTY: FORREAL

Who knows a conversation can be haunting? It reminded me of my parents on vacation. We were settled and upright citizens but never came close to them. I don't vow the same calls that I gave to my friends to my parents. Defying as if it were the last time I was screamed at, with no one to endure the pain to, but me.

I found myself standing at the doorstep with Wayne. Unboxing a load of messages with Tony at the very top of the conversation. I eagerly informed Wayne as I turned to him, "Tony - Fiona's scandal will be joining us this upcoming evening. I must've forgotten to check my phone but I'm glad that I did 'cause he's coming tomorrow." I stood there and watched Wayne grab my phone and go through our chat.

"This is what's making the party start. Glad to have you around, Rode. Wouldn't be here if you weren't always around every time," Wayne held my shoulders and opened the door. The lights were out. "What the hell," he exclaimed.

I opened the lights and left a smile when everyone surprised us, "What are you, fools? Is this the prep for her surprise tomorrow?"

"Yes, but look at the cake," she brought the freshly baked cake from the oven they made. "Clearly, someone forgot to put strawberries," Jade gave an atrocious look at Harry. "By the way, let's hide the gifts over my cabinet."

We headed upstairs as we heard a loud vehicle outside the door. Jade ran down the stairs and trembled in fear as she almost dropped the cake. "Help me with this one, you fool. Don't stand there, Golding," she tightens her grip on the cake. "Hurry," she exclaimed as soon as possible before getting Fiona inside the house. "Rode, open the door. It's Fiona," she screamed in the house.

I heard Wayne conversing with the others as I walked in motion, "Did you know Tony is coming tomorrow. We only heard from him as we got from the doorstep—that must've been a double surprise incoming."

"What," Harry said with a loud voice. "That's amazing. I better put on a better outfit."

"You mean, better obsession," Jade replied, looking vicious to not misstep.

"Okay, let's stop and finish the cake. Hurry, Rode. Fiona keeps banging the doorbell nine times in a row," Harry added.

I finally stood at the corner of the door and twisted the doorknob as I saw Fiona gather herself through her room. "Looks tired for evening applause, is she?" I said, as I worry.

***

November 6, 2007, Tuesday

Fiona usually appears in the morning and leaves the room without a glance at a scene. I woke up to see her vanish from thin air—on her own birthday. We would've greeted her as Ken's even Jade herself would be dressing up as Ken. Well, that luck is now gone for her.

"Don't just stand there. Help me with the decorations," Jade orders everyone. "Pink ribbons at the corner of every wall. The big one, not the small one," becoming more attentive to details when it comes to decorating a room.

"After all, decorating isn't bad."

"It definitely is not, but the food is," Golding added.

"What are you talking about? Doughnuts aren't bad," Jade got offended as they were from East Coffee doughnuts.

Harry said obliviously, "No shit, really? I'll keep my mouth shut, but can you add chicken to the list?"

Wayne said it himself, "I got it, me and Rode will head over to the corners."

"Really? Me again," I said.

"You're half-decent than them," Jade suddenly had a glimpse of a look at Wayne. "Definitely excluding you out of that description."

Wayne and I drove outside to the town and saw a restaurant called Raven's Cook—there was brothy and meaty ramen, crispy and tasty chicken, and other delicacies. I stepped in as I was lured by the smell. I was in a trance for a moment, never could I describe the scent but Wayne described it as, "Buttered corn." Childhood was what I smelled.

An eerie take since there was never buttered corn around here, "Better get that sense fix, shall we? I'll take the ramen though." I said as he got the money out of his pocket and he said, "So do I." I remembered this place.

Before heading to the others, I took a glimpse of the time, "It's not late yet. Should we finish the noodles here?"

"Cold aspect you got around there," he said as the winter was strong. "But sure."

Afterward, we drove to Jade and Harry as we continuously finished everything. The decorations, the food, and the cake are all finishing touches and one step closer to Tony.

We heard Fiona come by, the time was quarter to seven. The cake was placed outside and we screamed at her as she opened the door, "Happy Birthday."

"So, that's what you all have been planning. I know that you were up to no good," she said. All of us endured that laugh until we heard a knock on the door. Fiona, who was one step behind the door, opened it. It was Tony. Fiona looked at us for one more look at him before shrieking in excitement, "Tony, what are you doing here? This is crazy, you guys. Who planned this?"

"You gotta give it to your friends, I also don't know how they took my number," he said.

"All of you are on another level, aren't you? This is awesome. God, this is a nice birthday. I thought you were really busy."

"Sorry for declining you on your birthday. At least I came to the actual party."

Harry became curious, "I'm Harry, they're Jade, Wayne, and Charlie but I'm the nicest one to Fiona. The one she could ever trust."

Jade pushed his face in a joking manner, "You wreck. Of course, you are."

Tony seems to uplift everyone's mood, "Is it okay if I bring my brother? He seems to be running late."

Wayne added with an envious look, "The more, the merrier."

I said raising my pupils out knowing he'd flirt, "What was that skeptical scene of yours?"

The door had another knock and it was Tony's brother, "This is my brother. Say hello."

Jade almost left a gaping mouth so did the five of us and said, "Are you? What are you doing here?" She was extremely shocked by the look that gave out to her.