PART TWELVE: ADVENTURE

January 22, 1998, Thursday

I told Wayne and the others that I'd finished writing my poem and that I wanted them to read it after the class. They surely agreed, as they were exhilarated, when I announced the first time that I finished the draft. "Rode, we're proud of you. Make this the best one you've ever written and we are losing any more of it," Fiona said to me. "Yesterday, we were slammed by the rain when you ran so fast. But seeing you now, the weather is perfectly fine."

"I had an idea that I didn't want to grasp away." She grins and can't wait to read the poem, "If I were you, I'd surprise my friends but now, you have to show that to us."

I never thought of that idea, but it's too late now. The word's out among my friends and I can't wait for classes to be finished. We headed inside, Mr. Watts came by, "Good morning class, good morning Charlie. Just checking only you, how's the contest going?"

"Sir, he had finished the draft," Wayne suddenly uttered to the whole class.

I can just imagine eyes lurking around me even behind me. Seeing that Chase is behind me, I'm all good. He makes everyone feel like a friend too. Not only to Jade but also to him.

"Well, that's exciting. Great to hear of you doing well," Mr. Watts said in a tone that he's heard of being enthusiastic for the whole class. He dropped the textbooks and started discussing. "Where did we leave off last time? Analyzing graphs, are we?" He opened the textbooks and started to write with chalk, "What do we get here—bar chart, pie chart, one more then I will start to discuss everyone out there."

Eventually, classes were dismissed after several hours stuck in the chair.

Jade was waiting for me in the hallway, as we caught up with the others. "Now, do we get to hear this poem of yours?" She said to me, walking as if she was an expert in not looking down and just staring at me.

"Not now, but we do need to be in a place where there is a moment of silence."

Wayne joined the conversation as we met him outside, "Silence—what are you two on?"

"Silence now, huh? Fiona will automatically lose that one," Harry ironically stared at her.

Fiona rolled her eyes, "Not that kind of silence, you idiot."

"Let's just go to a park, shall we."

Fiona's doughnuts always appear every time we have moments like this. As if she never gets tired of baking and baking, then making a new recipe.

"Grab one before Harry finishes all of it," Fiona said, sharing the doughnuts.

Harry grabbed the chocolate one, "That's an absurd thing to say."

We all started to stare at the sun turning red. "Sunset, are we?"

"Rode, the moment we've been waiting for is when?" Wayne said to the group. "The next second, my hands will be on your bag and the next second, I'm reading your poem. Think fast."

"Parker as in the park, calm your nerves down. Here it is," I passed it over to Jade.

After a few moments, the poem is reaching to an end: "Life is supernatural support, they all say. I was there within a moment. Everybody lives and I am aware of that but in a family of three, who will go first? I can't even remember the fur on your skin. The feeling's far but near to me but why were you brought too far? Life is hard but I'm getting the hang of it. But do I? I wanna succeed," Jade finished reading my poem to the group.

"Is this poem about you?" Fiona glanced at me, looking teary-eyed as if it was the last time she'd heard of me. "I never knew poems have this much emotion."

"I hope you're doing okay, Rode. Tell us if you're feeling empty," Wayne added.

Harry took off his glasses, "Don't say empty. We're always here, Rode. If something is causing you trouble, don't let go of that and tell us." Jade hugs me and says, "We won't leave you, no matter how dark the world is."

"Don't think of the poem that way. Don't think I would undergo this household. I am still me, you guys. Now, let's turn in your poem tomorrow."

"That judge better be damn good to choose you as a winner," Fiona replied.