Chapter 16: Focus

Jennie

I hated this, and as much as I enjoyed being around Kai 'as a friend' I couldn't help but feel that this was wrong. I know I agreed to this whole fiasco of a relationship, but at the time I didn't know it would turn into this big story about a new idol power couple.

Now I was being forced to have public outings with Kai, which resulted in me sitting in this cafe trying my best to ignore the paparazzi taking photos from outside the window. Could they be any less obvious?

I guess my mood was showing because it opted Kai to ask about it. "Hey Jen is everything okay ?You seem... annoyed."

I let out an exasperating sigh before taking a sip of my ice coffee. " I'm fine, how much longer do we have to be here?"

" Wow is spending time with me really that horrible?" Kai says sarcastically, but I could tell my disinterest was bothering him, a hint of disappointment evident on his features. It may have been a little cruel since I knew Kai wouldn't mind if we were actually together, but I just didn't feel that way.

" I'm sorry Kai I didn't mean to be rude it's just a lot as happened this past month." I explain the reasoning for my behavior.

" What's going on?" He asks with concern in his voice. But before I could answer, our food comes to our table. My eyes light up at the sight of my avocado toast paired with a small piece of salmon displayed on the cutest plate. I wasn't one to take pictures of my food before I eat, but I definitely needed to share this meal with my blinks.

With a couple of taps on my phone I had a cute pic posted to my IG story. Now it was time to see if the food tasted as good as it looked. However, just as I was about to take a bite out of my toast Kai cleared his throat getting my attention reluctantly.

He was on thin ice now, how dare he get between me and my food.

"So what's got you so busy" He follows up on his previous question with expecting eyes. I guess it would not hurt to tell him. So I did, explaining the whole thing with Sumiye and her panic attacks and how multi-tasking so many responsibilities was tiring and how it sucked even more, now that I had the media zoned in on our fake relationship.

"So Sumiye's brother is that basketball guy right?" Kai voiced, it was subtle but it sounded a tad bit condescending. Does he have bad blood with Y/n?

"She is...what's that have to do with what I'm saying?" I eye him, curious to why he suddenly wants to bring up Y/n.

" Nothing really it's just that ever since this guy, your life's been a little more hectic." Kai claims, taking a sip of his drink clearly implying something.

"What are you getting at?"

" I mean first it was the rumors, then it was picking up a drunk guy in the middle of the night, and now you basically have to babysit his sister. He is obviously a distraction." Kai points out.

" I think you're blowing it a little bit out of proportion." I scoff, feeling offended. There was no way Y/n was having a negative effect on my life! If anything it was the opposite, he was a lot of fun to be around.

"Plus we haven't talked in a while anyways ."  And that fact actually frustrated me a little. Ever since Y/n left Korea I had not gotten a single text or call from him. I honestly expected one too after reaching out, but maybe it was just me being too nosy.

I mean I couldn't have been the only one who was feeling something right? I mean for god sake we almost kissed! TWICE!
It didn't make any sense. Thinking about those times actually made me realize how I missed him.