Chapter 7: Mistake

In a cozy corner of the bustling café, Averyn sat with her friends Melissa and Keith, surrounded by the comforting aroma of freshly brewed coffee and the soft hum of conversation. Papers and textbooks littered the table, evidence of the impending final college examinations looming over them.

Averyn, with her long hair pulled back into a ponytail and glasses perched on her nose, was deeply engrossed in her studies. Her brow furrowed in concentration as she poured over her notes, meticulously reviewing each detail with unwavering determination.

Beside her, Melissa sat with a similar intensity, her fingers flying across the keyboard of her laptop as she typed furiously, her eyes fixed on the screen with laser-like focus. The occasional sound of her tapping keys punctuated the otherwise quiet atmosphere of the café.

Meanwhile, Keith seemed lost in his world, his gaze drifting out the large window overlooking the bustling street outside. With a faraway look in his eyes, he watched the ebb and flow of people passing by, his mind seemingly elsewhere as he absently stirred his untouched coffee.

"Keith, are you even studying?" Melissa teased, breaking the silence with a playful nudge.Keith blinked, tearing his gaze away from the window with a sheepish grin. "Uh, yeah, of course," he replied, though his attention seemed to linger on the outside world.

Averyn glanced up from her books, a faint smile playing at the corners of her lips. "Come on, Keith," she said gently, "focus. We have exams in less than a week."

With a resigned sigh, Keith turned his attention back to his textbooks, though his mind still seemed to wander. Together, the trio returned to their studies, the quiet camaraderie of friendship buoying them through the challenges of academic rigour and the distractions of the outside world.

As the trio immersed themselves in their studies, the comforting scent of freshly baked pastries wafted through the air, drawing their attention away from their textbooks. Adaline, the owner of the café and Averyn's part-time boss approached their table with a warm smile, a tray laden with an array of biscuits and croissants in her hands.

"Time for a break, my dears," Adaline said with a twinkle in her eyes, her voice carrying a gentle, motherly tone. "You've been working so hard. Treat yourselves to a little indulgence."

Averyn's face lit up with gratitude as she looked up from her notes, her exhaustion momentarily forgotten. Melissa's eyes sparkled with appreciation, a hint of mischief dancing in her gaze as she reached eagerly for a croissant.

Keith's expression softened, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he accepted a biscuit from the tray. Though his mind may have been preoccupied with thoughts beyond the confines of their study session, he couldn't help but be drawn in by the warmth and generosity of Adaline's gesture.

"Thank you, madame," Averyn said sincerely, her voice tinged with genuine gratitude. "This is so kind of you."

Adaline simply nodded, her smile radiant as she watched the trio enjoy the impromptu snack break. With a gentle pat on Averyn's shoulder, she offered words of encouragement before returning to her duties behind the counter, leaving the friends to savour the moment of respite amidst the whirlwind of their academic endeavours.