Chapter 48: Hold Dear

Avery couldn't shake the gnawing worry that clung to her like a shadow, her thoughts consumed by concern for her best friend's safety. Ever since witnessing Zayden being knocked out during the night ball, anxiety had gnawed at her insides like a relentless beast. It had been almost 24 hours since he went missing, with no word of his whereabouts or condition, and the uncertainty weighed heavily upon her.

As she paced the corridors of Calliax's mansion, her mind torn between fear and determination, Avery grappled with the decision to confront the Colonel about Zayden's disappearance. The memory of their earlier banter lingered in her thoughts, a bitter reminder of the contentious relationship that often simmered between them. She knew that approaching Calliax directly would likely end in frustration and anger, yet the thought of Zayden in peril compelled her to set aside her pride and seek answers.

But this was Zayden she was worrying about, her steadfast companion and confidant since childhood, whom she regarded as a brother. With a deep breath, Avery summoned her courage and made her way to Calliax's room, her heart pounding with a mixture of trepidation and determination. She knew that despite their differences, she couldn't allow her personal grievances to overshadow the urgency of Zayden's situation.

"Umm... sir? Colonel?" Avery hesitated, her voice tentative as she stood outside Calliax's door, her earlier confrontation with him weighing heavily on her mind. "I know I may have hurt your feelings earlier, and I apologize for that, but..."

"If you don't mind, I wanted to ask something," Avery began, her voice hesitant as she broached the subject of Zayden. "It's about Zayden... Do you have any information about him? How is he now?" she inquired, her tone tinged with a mixture of anxiety and hope as she addressed Calliax respectfully.

Avery's heart sank as silence greeted her inquiry, the absence of a response from Calliax echoing loudly in the stillness of the room. Uncertainty gnawed at her insides, a knot of anxiety tightening in her chest as she grappled with the weight of her unanswered question.

Feeling a surge of frustration and impatience, Avery bit her lip, her resolve wavering as she considered whether to press further or retreat in defeat. But the thought of Zayden, alone and in danger, spurred her to stand her ground, her determination steeling her against the daunting silence that enveloped her.

With a mixture of trepidation and determination, Avery gently pushed open the door, surprised to find it unlocked. Stepping into the opulent confines of Calliax's bedroom, she felt a wave of awe wash over her at the sight of the lavish furnishings and intricate décor that adorned the space.

Her footsteps echoed softly against the polished marble floor as she made her way further into the room, her senses tingling with a mixture of apprehension and curiosity. Though she knew she was trespassing on the Colonel's private sanctuary, the urgency of her concern for Zayden outweighed any sense of propriety.

With each passing moment, Avery's determination grew stronger, her resolve bolstered by the silent promise she had made to herself to uncover the truth about her friend's disappearance. As she scanned the room for any sign of Calliax or clues to Zayden's whereabouts, she braced herself for whatever revelations lay hidden within the luxurious confines of the Colonel's inner sanctum.

"Sir? Colonel?" Avery called out softly, her voice echoing in the spacious bedroom as she scanned the room for any sign of Calliax. "Are you in here?"

Her words hung in the air, the silence of the room pressing in around her as she waited anxiously for a response, her heart pounding with a mixture of apprehension and determination.

Confusion clouded Avery's thoughts as she scanned the empty bedroom, a furrow forming on her brow. "Where did he go?" she wondered silently, her mind racing with unanswered questions. "I thought he went to his bedroom..."