Chapter 38: A Sudden Ambush

As Rowan, Zayden, and Marcus strode purposefully through the dimly lit corridor, their footsteps echoing against the polished marble floor, a sense of urgency hung in the air like a thick fog. Rowan led the way, his brow furrowed with concern as he relayed the supposed message he had received.

"I can't believe the colonel requested a meeting at this hour," Rowan muttered, his voice low with disbelief. "Someone approached me and said it was urgent."

Zayden exchanged a puzzled glance with Marcus, both of them equally bewildered by the unexpected summons. "But why would the colonel call for us now?" Zayden questioned, his tone tinged with skepticism. "There's been no indication of any pressing matters."

Marcus nodded in agreement, his expression mirroring the uncertainty that clouded their thoughts. "It doesn't make sense," he remarked, his voice echoing off the walls of the corridor.

Despite their growing apprehension, the three soldiers continued onward, their footsteps echoing in unison as they approached Calliax's office. With each passing moment, the weight of their confusion only seemed to deepen, leaving them to wonder what awaited them on the other side of the door.

Little did they know, the truth behind the mysterious summons would soon reveal itself, setting into motion a chain of events that would forever alter the course of their lives.

As they navigated the dimly lit alley, Rowan and Zayden remained focused on their destination, unaware of the shadowy figure lurking in the darkness behind them. Marcus, trailing slightly behind his companions, was the first to sense something amiss—a faint rustling of movement, too subtle to be ignored.

Before he could react, a powerful blow struck him from behind, sending him sprawling to the ground with a muffled thud. Shocked and disoriented, Marcus struggled to regain his bearings as darkness closed in around him, obscuring his vision and leaving him helpless against the unseen assailant.

Meanwhile, Rowan and Zayden continued on their path, their footsteps echoing off the alley walls as they pressed forward, oblivious to the sudden disappearance of their comrade. Unaware of the danger lurking in the shadows, they remained focused on their mission, unaware of the danger that lay ahead.

As they proceeded down the narrow alley, Rowan's senses remained alert, attuned to any signs of danger. However, the darkness seemed to cloak their surroundings in an eerie silence, masking the presence of any lurking threats. Lost in his thoughts, Rowan failed to notice the subtle shift in the air, the faint whisper of movement that signaled impending danger.

Suddenly, with a swift and unexpected strike, Rowan felt a powerful force slam into the back of his head, sending him reeling forward with a startled cry. Stunned and disoriented, he stumbled forward, his vision swimming as he fought to maintain his balance. Despite his best efforts, the darkness seemed to close in around him, swallowing him whole as he succumbed to unconsciousness.

Unaware of his companion's plight, Zayden forged ahead, his attention focused solely on their destination. Oblivious to the danger lurking in the shadows, he pressed forward with determination, unaware of the peril that lay ahead.

As Zayden's footsteps echoed through the desolate alley, a sudden hush descended upon the surroundings, shrouding him in an ominous silence. Sensing a shift in the atmosphere, he turned sharply, his gaze scanning the darkness for any signs of movement. To his horror, he found himself alone, his companions nowhere in sight.

A chill ran down Zayden's spine as a sense of foreboding washed over him, the hairs on the back of his neck standing on end. With mounting unease, he realized that danger lurked in the shadows, closing in on him with each passing moment. Before he could react, a sudden blow struck him from behind, sending him spiraling into darkness as consciousness slipped away.

As the darkness of the alley swallowed Zayden's unconscious form, a figure emerged from the shadows, drawn by the commotion. Averyn's heart pounded in her chest as she recognized the silhouette, her breath catching in her throat.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?" Averyn's voice quivered with a mixture of fear and anger, her words ringing out in the empty alley.

The figure turned to face her, their features obscured by the dim light. Averyn's eyes widened as she sensed the menacing aura emanating from them, sending a shiver down her spine.

Instead of backing down, the stranger stepped closer, their presence looming over her like a looming shadow. Averyn's resolve wavered as she took a step back, her instincts urging her to flee.

The figure remained silent, their gaze cold and unforgiving as they locked eyes with Averyn. In that moment, she felt a surge of panic grip her heart as the intensity of their stare bore into her soul.

Without warning, the stranger's expression hardened, their lips forming a grim line as they made a swift and decisive movement towards Averyn. Instinctively, she turned and bolted, her heart pounding in her chest as adrenaline surged through her veins.

The sound of her frantic footsteps echoed off the walls of the narrow alleyway, mingling with the ominous silence of the night. Averyn dared not look back, her sole focus on putting as much distance between herself and the menacing figure behind her.

With each passing moment, the gap between them seemed to narrow, the stranger's footsteps echoing ominously behind her. Averyn's breath came in ragged gasps as she pushed herself to run faster, her mind racing with fear and desperation.

As she rounded a corner, Averyn caught a glimpse of the street ahead, a beacon of hope in the darkness. With renewed determination, she sprinted towards the safety of the open road, her heart pounding in her ears as she prayed for escape.

Averyn's heart sank as she reached the end of the alley, her path blocked by a looming brick wall. Before she could even register her next move, strong arms closed around her, pulling her back into the darkness.

In a desperate bid for freedom, Averyn lashed out, sinking her teeth into the flesh of her assailant's arm. She tasted blood as the man recoiled in pain, but his grip only tightened, crushing her against him with a brutal force.

With a violent shove, the man sent Averyn sprawling to the ground, the impact knocking the wind from her lungs. 

As the force of the shove sent her crashing to the ground, Averyn's vision blurred and darkness began to engulf her senses. The pain radiating from her body intensified, overwhelming her consciousness until everything faded to black.

Just as the assailant loomed over Averyn, poised to strike again, a swift and decisive blow from an unexpected source disrupted the impending assault. A strong hand materialized out of the darkness, delivering a powerful punch that sent the assailant reeling backward, collapsing in a heap on the ground. The rescuer stood protectively over Averyn, a silent guardian in the night, his gaze unwavering as he assessed the unconscious woman lying before him.

The rescuer's voice, tinged with a mix of admiration and concern, broke the tense silence that lingered in the air. "Ha...this is troublesome. Quite the fighter aren't you, lady?" he remarked, his sigh conveying both exhaustion and respect for her resilience. Without pausing for a response, he swiftly moved to her side, his strong hands gently lifting her in a bridal-style embrace as they made their escape from the perilous alleyway.