Chapter 20: Unsettled Feelings

After her shift ended, Averyn sat across from Zayden, her curiosity evident in her eyes as she leaned forward slightly. "So, Zayden, how was your mission?" she asked, her voice tinged with a mix of eagerness and concern.

Zayden took a moment to collect his thoughts before replying, his expression thoughtful. "It was intense," he began, his tone serious. "But we managed to accomplish our objectives without any major issues."

Averyn nodded, her gaze never leaving his face as she listened intently. "That's a relief to hear," she said softly, a small smile playing on her lips. "I was worried about you."

Zayden reached across the table and gently squeezed her hand, offering her a reassuring smile. "I appreciate your concern, Averyn," he said sincerely. "But you don't need to worry about me. I can handle myself."

Averyn returned his smile, feeling a wave of warmth wash over her at his words. "I know you can," she said softly, her voice filled with unwavering confidence in him. "I'm just glad you're back safe and sound."

"But I heard you might be busier than usual now," Averyn inquired, her tone curious as she glanced at Zayden.

Zayden's smile widened at her question. "Yes, it looks like it," he admitted, a hint of excitement in his voice. "We've been assigned some new tasks for the future. But on the bright side, I have tomorrow off."

Averyn's eyes sparkled with interest. "That sounds like quite the workload," she remarked, impressed by Zayden's dedication to his duties. "But I'm glad you'll have a day to rest tomorrow."

Averyn raised an eyebrow, her curiosity piqued. "But tomorrow is the celebration, isn't it? Aren't you going to attend?"

Zayden nodded in confirmation. "Yes, it is, but us privates are excluded from the event," he explained, a hint of disappointment in his voice. "The colonel himself granted us a day off."

Averyn couldn't hide her surprise. "The colonel gave you a day off?" she repeated incredulously, her disbelief evident. It was unlike the stern and stoic colonel to show such generosity, especially towards his subordinates.

"That's highly unusual," Averyn thought to herself, momentarily puzzled by the colonel's unexpected generosity. Pushing aside her thoughts about the colonel, she focused on Zayden's question.

"Anyway, are you free tomorrow?" Zayden asked, breaking her reverie. "I'd like us to spend some time together. It's been a while."

Averyn's face lit up with a smile at the suggestion. "Of course, I'd love to!" she replied eagerly, her excitement evident. "What do you have in mind?"

"Let's go somewhere tomorrow," Zayden suggested with a mischievous grin, "but I won't tell you where. It'll be a surprise."

Averyn couldn't hide her disappointment at Zayden's refusal to disclose the surprise location. "Come on, Zayden," she pleaded, a hint of frustration in her voice. "You know I hate surprises. Can't you at least give me a clue?"