Chapter 34: Morning After

Averyn's eyes fluttered open, the soft rays of morning sunlight filtering through the curtains, casting a warm glow across the room. Blinking in confusion, she realized she wasn't in her own bed. Sitting up slowly, her head throbbing with a dull ache, she surveyed her surroundings. The room was unfamiliar, elegant yet masculine, with hints of Calliax's distinct taste in decor.

As the events of the previous night flooded back to her, Averyn's heart began to race. She remembered the formal ball, the laughter and music, the swirl of dresses and clinking of glasses. But her memories grew hazy after a certain point, fragmented and disjointed.

With a sinking feeling in her stomach, Averyn glanced down at herself, still clad in the elegant dress she had worn to the ball. Relief washed over her as she noted that, despite the disorientation and the scratches on her arms, she appeared unharmed.

Pushing aside the covers, Averyn swung her legs over the edge of the bed, her mind racing with questions. How had she ended up here? And where was Calliax?

As she stood and began to explore the room, her gaze fell upon a note left on the bedside table. With trembling hands, she picked it up and read the elegant script.

"Dear Averyn,

I hope you slept well. I found you unconscious outside the ballroom last night and brought you here to rest. You were safe, but I wanted to ensure you were comfortable. Please, make yourself at home. I'll be downstairs if you need anything.

Sincerely,

Calliax"

A wave of relief washed over Averyn as she read the note. Despite the lingering sense of unease and uncertainty, she couldn't deny the flutter of warmth in her chest at Calliax's concern for her well-being.

Taking a deep breath, Averyn resolved to piece together the events of the previous night and confront whatever challenges lay ahead. With determination in her heart, she squared her shoulders and made her way downstairs to find Calliax, ready to face whatever truths awaited her.

As Averyn descended the staircase, her mind raced, trying to piece together the fragments of her memories from the night before. Flashes of laughter, the shimmer of chandeliers, the elegant swirl of gowns, all swirled in her mind like scattered puzzle pieces.

She remembered the music, the lively chatter, the warmth of Zayden's smile as they danced together. But then, the memories grew hazier, clouded by a sense of disorientation and confusion.

Averyn recalled stepping out onto the terrace, seeking a breath of fresh air amidst the whirlwind of the ballroom. She remembered the cool night air against her skin, the soft rustle of leaves in the breeze. And then... darkness.

Furrowing her brow in concentration, Averyn strained to recall the moments leading up to her unconsciousness. There was a voice, a presence nearby. She remembered a sense of urgency, of someone reaching out to her in the darkness.

But the details eluded her, slipping through her fingers like grains of sand. Frustration gnawed at her as she struggled to grasp hold of the memories, to make sense of the gaps in her recollection.

Taking a deep breath, Averyn shook her head, determined to focus on the present moment. Whatever had happened the night before, she knew she couldn't change it now. All she could do was move forward, one step at a time, and unravel the mystery that lay before her.

As Averyn descended the staircase, her eyes landed on Calliax, who stood at the kitchen counter, his back turned to her. She couldn't help but notice the way the early morning light streamed through the window, casting a warm glow over his bare torso. His muscles tensed and flexed with each movement, the definition of his back mesmerizing to behold.