Chapter 9: Please, don't go

As Zayden and Averyn walked through the bustling city streets, the air filled with the sounds of laughter and conversation, a sense of warmth and familiarity enveloped them. They shared stories of their lives, reminiscing about childhood memories and catching up on the events that had transpired since Zayden had joined the army.

However, the mood shifted when Zayden broached the topic of the current issues facing their nation, his expression grave as he spoke of the dangerous mission that awaited him. Averyn's heart clenched with concern at the mention of the perilous task that lay ahead for her beloved childhood friend.

"Zayden, please," she pleaded softly, her voice tinged with worry. "You know how dangerous this mission could be. I don't want to see you put yourself in harm's way."

Her words were filled with genuine concern, her eyes searching his for any sign of hesitation or doubt. She couldn't bear the thought of Zayden risking his life for the sake of their nation, knowing the dangers that lurked in the shadows.

Zayden reached out to gently grasp Averyn's hand, his touch comforting as he met her gaze with a reassuring smile. "I understand your concern, Averyn," he said softly, his voice filled with warmth and sincerity. "But this mission is important, and I have a duty to fulfill. I promise to do everything in my power to stay safe and come back to you."

Averyn nodded, her heart heavy with worry yet filled with love and admiration for her brave friend. Though she feared for his safety, she knew that Zayden's sense of duty and dedication to their nation could not be swayed.

With a silent understanding between them, they continued their stroll through the city streets, each step bringing them closer together in the face of the challenges that lay ahead. And as they walked side by side, Averyn took solace in the knowledge that no matter what trials awaited them, they would face them together, united in their bond of friendship and unwavering support for one another.

Feeling the weight of Averyn's worry and knowing the depth of her past trauma, Zayden wrapped an arm around her shoulders, drawing her close in a gesture of comfort and reassurance. He could sense the fear and anxiety radiating from her, and he knew that he needed to be her rock in this moment of uncertainty.

"Averyn," Zayden began softly, his voice gentle yet firm. "I understand why you're worried, and I want you to know that I'll do everything in my power to stay safe. You're not just my best friend—you're my twin, my confidante, my pillar of strength. I couldn't bear the thought of losing you either."

He squeezed her shoulder affectionately, his gaze meeting hers with unwavering determination. "But you've always believed in me, Averyn. You've seen the potential in me even when I couldn't see it myself. And now, I need you to believe that I can handle whatever comes my way. With you by my side, I know I can face any challenge."

Averyn's eyes glistened with unshed tears as she leaned into Zayden's embrace, finding solace in the familiarity of his presence and the warmth of his words. She knew that no matter what trials awaited them, they would face them together, just as they always had.

With a silent understanding between them, they continued their walk through the city streets, their bond stronger than ever in the face of adversity. And as they walked side by side, Averyn took comfort in the knowledge that no matter what the future held, they would always be there for each other, united in their unbreakable bond of friendship and love.