Chapter 16: The battle

Averyn's heart clenched with worry as she lay in bed, her thoughts consumed by concern for her best friend, Zayden. She tossed and turned restlessly, unable to shake the nagging fear that gripped her heart.

"Please, let him be safe," she whispered into the darkness, her voice barely audible in the silence of the night. "Please, let him come back to me unharmed."

Her mind raced with images of Zayden embarking on his first mission, his face etched with determination as he faced the dangers that awaited him. She couldn't bear the thought of him in harm's way, and with each passing moment, her worry only deepened.

"Stay safe, Zayden," she murmured, her voice filled with desperation as she clung to the hope that he would return to her unscathed. "Please, come back to me."

As the night wore on, Averyn's prayers echoed into the darkness, a silent plea for the safety of her beloved friend. And though the weight of uncertainty hung heavy in her heart, she refused to give in to despair, holding on to the hope that Zayden would soon be by her side once more.

A few days ago.

Zayden and Averyn are currently enjoying a snack of kebab sticks while admiring the view of the park. They are engaged in a happy conversation, and Zayden is teasing Averyn a lot. However, Averyn suddenly asks Zayden if he could not go on the mission because it's near the borderline. 

Zayden responds by smiling and patting Averyn's head to reassure her, saying, "I already told you, I'm a strong soldier who will never go down. Nothing can beat me. Besides, I made a promise to someone to come back in one piece, otherwise, she'll kill me for good." Averyn chuckles at Zayden's last words.

Zayden chuckled, his eyes warm as he looked at Averyn. "You worry too much, Averyn," he said, his voice gentle as he reached out to pat her head affectionately. "I'll be fine, I promise."

Averyn smiled, though a hint of concern lingered in her eyes. "I know you're strong, Zayden," she replied, her voice soft. "But promise me you'll be careful out there. I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you."

Zayden's smile softened, his gaze meeting hers with a solemn intensity. "I'll do my best to come back to you in one piece," he vowed, his words carrying a weight of determination. "After all, I made a promise to someone very special to me."

Averyn's heart swelled with affection at his words, a warmth spreading through her as she realized the depth of his commitment. "I'll hold you to that promise," she said, her voice tinged with a hint of teasing. "And if you don't come back, just remember—I'll be waiting to give you a piece of my mind."

Zayden laughed, the sound light and carefree as he pulled her into a tight hug. "Deal," he said, his voice filled with warmth and affection. "I'll see you soon, Averyn. I promise."

Zayden wiped the sweat from his brow, his muscles tense from the exertion of unloading the heavy crates. Beside him, Colonel Calliax stood with a stoic expression, his eyes scanning their surroundings for any sign of danger.

"Looks like the coast is clear," Zayden murmured, his voice low as he glanced at Colonel Calliax. "Time to move."

YOUR DEMEANOURजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें